Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VeryRareUseR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
    Hair follicle test for little use
    I'm so worried about the hair follicle test I just took. I went in thinking it was a urine test, which I would have passed easily, but it ended up being a hair follicle test. They cut a ton of my hair off & I just smoked marijuana exactly 2 weeks ago, then 1 other time about 3 weeks ago, & another time about over a month ago. When I smoke I only take about 2-3 hits & I can't remember when else I did which is how infrequent I smoke. I am not a drug user by any means, I rarely even drink & have never smoked a cigarette in my life. I take an amphetamine drug everyday for my ADHD (I have for over half of my life almost everyday). They took a copy of my prescription, but other than that I'm clean. Do you think I will pass my hair follicle drug screen because of the different times I smoked? I am a white female, 5'3" 120 lbs. & do not work out regularly.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2012, 06:57 AM
    Hair Drug Testing (HDT) seldom detects infrequent marijuana use. This failure does not relate to the sensitivity of the test, length of hair or time span from use.

Rather it is a consequence of the physiochemical properties of the metabolites tested for (THC, THCA). They do not readily incorporate into hair and prolonged regular smoking is required for detection. It's not that the test misses these metabolites it is because they aren't there.

Ref
    Auwater (2010) Hair analysis for Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid A—New insights into the mechanism of drug incorporation of cannabinoids into hair. Forensic Science International, Volume 196, Issue 1 , Pages 10-13

Galanter & Kleber (2008) Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse, p. 58
    curiousgeorge99 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Hair Drug Testing (HDT) seldom detects infrequent marijuana use. This failure does not relate to the sensitivity of the test, length of hair or time span from use.

Rather it is a consequence of the physiochemical properties of the metabolites tested for (THC, THCA). They do not readily incorporate into hair and prolonged regular smoking is required for detection. It's not that the test misses these metabolites it is because they aren't there.

Ref
    Auwater (2010) Hair analysis for Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid A—New insights into the mechanism of drug incorporation of cannabinoids into hair. Forensic Science International, Volume 196, Issue 1 , Pages 10-13

Galanter & Kleber (2008) Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse, p. 58

Did you pass the test?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair follicle test [ 5 Answers ]

Hair follicle test- I am currently trying to get another job and ii know they give hair follicle tests. I probably won't have to take the test for another two to three weeks. About three weeks ago I smoked marijuana with a friend. Just took a couple of pulls off a one-hitter. That is it. I...

Hair follicle test [ 2 Answers ]

I hit a joint two months ago I rareley smoke I have a hair follicle test this week I drink cranberry juice and water heavy everyday could I pass?

Hair follicle test [ 2 Answers ]

I do not smoke marijuana but my wife does. I have to take a hair follicle test. Will I fail because the weed is in the hair, even though I do not smoke?

Hair follicle test [ 1 Answers ]

If your hair has been chemically treated,can this affect a hair follicle drug test?

View more questions Search