Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 21, 2012, 03:47 AM
    Install undermount sink on top of counter?
    Free countertop, very good price on undermount sink...

What if I just caulked the sink to death so I can put it on top of a laminate counter? I don't have a plunge router and don't want to do Counter-Seal (edge kit for undermount sinks on laminate). What are the odds it will leak anyway?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2012, 05:35 AM
    With enough silicone caulk it should work but not look too good with the mounting lip that high. BTW you don't need a plunge routed to do this, make a template and don't drink too much coffee!
    current pert

Jul 21, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Oops I didn't know the lip would be high. I've never seen one in person. Oh well, I'll find out soon enough.
    The video for the kit to edge a laminate top calls for a plunge router I guess to make sure it's a super clean smooth cut? Mine wouldn't be that's for sure.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
    Didn't see that was your post. Thickness depends on the sink. SS is thin but ceramic or cast iron is pretty thick. Plunge routed is easier but a regular type can be used. Some people use a Dremel to do the outline and then a regular one to finish. I use a regular router for hinges and it works well.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
    If u don't have a router, u can use a saber saw. Drill a hole large enough for saw blade and cut away.

Chuck
    current pert

Jul 22, 2012, 12:37 AM
    You have both put an undermount sink on top of a counter, and/or put one under a laminate counter?
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 08:52 AM
    I wouldn't put an undermount sink in a laminate counter, the sides of the opening are unprotected. Some newer sinks can be mounted either way. CHUCK -ii was referring yo routing out a lip to let the sink sit level, not for cutting the hole. JP -what type of sink is it?
    current pert

Jul 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
    There are kits for sale to line the open edge. They are what require a plunge router.

It's stainless 16 gauge (being shipped). I'm hoping it will be thick enough to lie flat. Even 18 gauge doesn't always lie flat even with clips.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
    If you are buying a sink why didn't you get a drop in, they are pretty cheap?
    current pert

Jul 23, 2012, 02:44 AM
    All the drop ins had 3 or 4 holes, the drain in the middle (I want it near the back), and I like the D shape and depth of the one I found for a good price. Plus the heavy gauge. And I'd have it for if I ever get a solid surface counter. (But granite is not for me - all that weight and expense.)
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
    JP-I would cut the hole to fit 1/8" larger than the sink. Put a good bead of silicone and set the sink down into it with a brick or 2 in the sink. 16 guage is roughly 1/16" thick and should not have a big lip. Send us a pic when done. Brian
    current pert

Jul 28, 2012, 12:32 AM

Sink does not sit quite as flat as I had hoped and even came with a slight ripple on one spot which wasn't easy to flatten but I think it will be OK, and I managed to spend $0 on the counter, $168 on the sink, and $49 on the faucet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing an undermount sink... is it possible? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My granite guy did a poor job installing the under mount sink and he used a stainless steel sink he said he can got me a "good deal" on." The sink is cheap and was installed very poorly. I am not on good terms with the granite guy because he decided to increase his price after he installed...

New undermount sink - pipe coming out of wall impedes disposal [ 4 Answers ]

The pvc pipe coming out of the wall sticks out about 6 inches. Can I just cut a few inches off to make room for the disposal? How do I thread the newly cut pipe?is there a connector?

Undermount Sink Replacement [ 12 Answers ]

I want to replace my undermount sink that is mounted under a granite countertop. How difficult is it to remove the existing sink? I believe it is held in place by a very strong epoxy. How would the sink be removed and would it require taking up the granite countertop?

View more questions Search