Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louisecoe Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 04:48 AM
    Need Pool information
    I wonder if somebody could help me with a baffling problem please?

My poor old Dad is having financial difficulties and should really move from his high maintenance home but, we have been told, such a trauma could kill him especially since he has been recently widowed. After much money juggling he could just about scrape by except that the swimming pool, though not used, has to be maintained.

I have looked into the possibilities of running the pool as cheaply as possible (it is not being used any longer) but everything is costly. If I ask a pool doctor what to do they say it must be opened in the summer and maintained as usual. Pool vendors obviously say much the same thing because it is their business to sell chemicals. Also the water and energy is expensive as sometimes the electricity has to be on 24/7 during a heat wave.

I have even looked into the possibility of filling the pool in which would also be very expensive and, of course, would lose the property a great deal of money when it comes to selling up.

Is there such a thing as a chemical which could kill algie completely perhaps added annually to the water.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Louise
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 4, 2007, 05:10 AM
    If you want to have the pool filled in try to call places that might be willing to give you the dirt free such as a landfill , recycle place, explain the situation at least they might be able to steer you in the right direction of who to call for help.

Also call local city hall, and maybe even some volunteer organizations.
    louisecoe Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Thank you so much for your advice, we may try it.

Best Regards

Louise
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 4, 2007, 05:13 AM
    Your welcomed wish I had more answers for you, I wish the best for you and family
    Toddro61 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Nothing will kill algae annually. The pool must have chlorine year round. The cheapest, easiest way to keep a pool chlorinated all year is to put in a salt water chlorinator. You can get them off the internet for about $600. The Aqua-Rite brand is the best. They are easy to install and work great. They greatly reduce maintenance and cost.
    kilgoresp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 10:59 PM
    I need instructions on how to put together a 18 ft above ground pool.the name of the pool is classic by ester williams brand.thanks...
    nojerryrigs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
    you could drain the pool and install a safety cover. These covers can hold the weight of a person. There will be an initial investment but you don't loos the value of the pool in an eventual sale and you don't have to maintain it while it is not inuse. Some caution should be exercised if you have high ground water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Above ground pool [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering, can I keep an above ground pool up all winter with no water in it or will it collapse even though it has the braces all around it? Thank you.

?pool leaking [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I live in NJ, which is frigid right now. My pool is leaking! It's 18ft round, 4ft deep, and covered of course. I don't really know what to do between now and spring! There is a big puddle (patch of ice actually) which looks like quite a bit of water. Do I need to keep it full to stop the...

Garden Pool [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently moved into a house with a 3' x 4' concrete garden pool. It has a spout in the middle of the pool and city water can be turned on with an old-fashion T device. There is also a built-in overflow valve. A plumber advised me that I should not use city water, because it would cost...

Pool Covers [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best cover to use, when closing the pool to winter over in areas where freezing occurs.

Pool physics [ 2 Answers ]

Sir/Madam, Please highlight me regarding the following - * when a force is applied on a sphere resting on a plane, initially it slides, and then it starts rolling - how long it slides and how long it rolls! Condition for Sliding and Rolling! * if the force is not directly through the...

View more questions Search