Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpmeh12 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
    Hair drug test - infrequent user - please help
    Ok. I'm a very infrequent smoker. The last time I smoked was June 16th (4 hits off a blunt). The previous smoke before that was late Jan-early Feb. Now I have a hair test and urine test coming up soon. What are my chances of passing my hair test. I know I will pass my UA. I keep my hair very short. Always. Is this a bad idea? Please help.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
    The use you describe, light and infrequent, is seldom detected in a hair drug test (HDT). The reason is that the metabolites tested for (THC, THCA) are not readily incorporated into hair. In order for these metabolites to rise above the level of detection requires regular exposure.

Ref.

Musshoff F, Madea B. Review of biologic matrices (urine, blood, hair) as indicators of recent or ongoing cannabis use. There Drug Monit. Apr 2006;28(2):155-63 in Cannabis Compound Abuse Workup.

Galanter & Kleber, 2011 Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse, American Psychiatric Publishing, Wash, DC, p. 58

Huestis, 2007 Human Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetics

Jul 21, 2012, 12:18 PM
    Thank you Dr. Bill! I've seen a lot of your posts on here and a lot of people love the advice you give them. I greatly appreciate your input. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Another question. What about armpit hair. Should I be OK or am I at a greater risk for detection?
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2012, 12:31 PM
    Armpit (axillary) hair has different absorption characteristics from head hair. While axillary is generally darker and coarser (a better target) THC-COOH is actually found in lesser quantity than in scalp hair. Therefore if the metabolite has not made it into head hair it is even less likely to be present in axillary.

Also the underarm is far less likely to be exposed to contamination by cannabis smoke which is a major problem for head hair.

Was that the sample site?

Jul 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
    Excellent then! I should be good to go then. Thank you again.

I do not know where I will be taking the test. Somewhere in Cleveland Ohio. I'm guessing.
    riteofmars555 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
    I'm sure your tired of answering this question but I'm in the same boat as him, last time was middle June around June 15th, before that, at least 6-7 months prior, most recent was literally one hit, before that, a few hits over the coarse o

Sep 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
    Oh, its for a job, they told me my hair needs to be at least one inch for testing,

Sep 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
    And basically what I have gathered is hair testing is mainly effective for regular users
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by riteofmars555 View Post
    im sure your tired of answering this question but im in the same boat as him, last time was middle june around june 15th, before that, at least 6-7 months prior, most recent was literally one hit, before that, a few hits over the coarse o
    HDT doesn't detect light and infrequent use. The answer to your question is the same as above and the same references apply.

Sep 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
    You, like me, should be fine.

Sep 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
    Hey as long as the same goes for arm and leg hair I should be good to go then from the sounds of it. Funny how a stupid mistake can cause you so much stress.
    drosedetroit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 07:55 PM
    One shotgun first time ever ?

Oct 9, 2012, 12:32 PM
    Well I took my hair test yesterday. I didn't have enough hair on my head so they took some from my armpits, and some from my legs. They told me they only go back 90 days. Its been longer than 90 days so we will see how this works out.

Oct 9, 2012, 01:23 PM
    I hear a lot of back and forths with body hair, for example omega (the test site) claims to have a 1 year time frame on body hair, even though in the past year my use has been close to null (1-3 times very very light use) it still is bothersome.. however I will keep posted to help others.

Oct 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
    Well I passed the test. 1-4 times in the past year very light cannabis use. Over the 90 day mark, extracted armpit and body hair through omega. Thank you dr bill for your expertise and insight. Lesson much learned, don't sleep with dogs or you'll get fleas. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Question for DrBill--Infrequent User of Marijuana + Hair Drug Test [ 17 Answers ]

Hi DrBill, I know you've answered this question a couple of times before, but each situation is different, and like most people going in for a hair test, I'm getting slightly paranoid and nervous. I won't bore you with a long intro, so here's the gist of it: I am a very infrequent smoker. ...

Hair Follicle Testing for Infrequent User [ 12 Answers ]

I was given a hair follicle test on 2/10/2011. The most recent time I smoke was the evening of 1/31/2011. It was from a bowl of which I only took about 3 or 4 hits. Before this I had not smoked since Nov 27, 2010 where again I smoke from a bowl just taking 3 or 4 hits. Before this incident I...

Infrequent user of weed urine test [ 0 Answers ]

I smoked last Wednesday night and took a drug test six days later. On Friday of the week that I smoked I passed a take home drug test. In total it was six days between the time I smoked and the time I had to take my pre employment drug test. Am I going to pass the drug screen? I am an infrequent...

Who should get a transfusion, Drug user or non-drug user both HIV [ 2 Answers ]

Two people need a transfusion both HIV but one got it from drug use and the other from prior blood transfusion. Not enough for both, who should get the transfusion

View more questions Search