Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    romain003 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 01:47 AM
    Traveling with *young* child
    :confused: I will be traveling with my son by air plane. He just turned 4 years old. I am kind of nervous that when the plane starts moving, or goes up, or if he looks out the window, he will be afraid. I thought about okay- close the window, but he can look through some one else's.. Also the ear poping that happens, is there any tips on how I can make it manage able for him? I am wondering if any one has experience, tips, or just an opinion about whether or not this should be a concern. (?) Also, is there any good tips anyone might have with traveling with a 4 year old? I am very nervous, and just want things to be as comfertable as can be for him.

Thanks so much

:confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2007, 06:02 AM
    This is taken from and article, "Air Travel With Young Children"

First, if your flight isn't too long, try to arrange it around your child's naptime. If it is a long flight, consider flying later in the day, or in the early evening when a child may fall asleep for part of the flight. Also take advantage of the many conveniences airlines offer such as children's meals, headsets, and even activity sets. And once you're in the air, it's wise to prevent boredom by keeping your child occupied explains in-flight safety manager Christine Holiday. "It's really important that you keep your children active while they're on the plane because children aren't aware of the time factor. I recommend bringing a lot of little activities and books to keep them occupied. There's not a lot for them to see once above the clouds."

Holiday adds that parents are doing themselves a favor by arriving early to take advantage of preboarding. "We recommend that you get to the airport so that you have lots of time to make the arrangements and last minute trips to the bathroom. The airlines offer preboarding assistance that allows you to get settled in seats before the rest of the passengers get on. In addition, you'll get any preflight briefing important to those who have children on board."

Another reminder is that children can find take-off and landing uncomfortable on their ears, For the older child, candy or gum can ease the ear blockage. And of your child has a cold, see your doctor before traveling. He may recommend you re-arrange your trip for another time, as flying can be extremely painful for children's ears when they have a cold.

Checking with your airline to find out if they have the children's activity sets or headsets, before you get to the airport, is my word of advice. Not every airline does. It is easy to make a little pack from home with those things. You may even want to include some special snacks.

Have fun!
    romain003 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 10:26 AM
    thanks so much for your response =)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Most welcome. Hope the trip goes well for everyone.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 07:40 PM
    We had to take a 5.5 hour flight one month after my daughter turned 5. I bought her an electronic handheld game (Pixter) the day before we left. We took it out of the box and put the batteries in right before we left for the airport.

She played with that thing for the entire flight. Barely stopped long enough to eat. And she played with it the entire way back. She looked out the window a few times, marveled at the clouds and then went back to playing. I had also brought books and snacks but she wasn't interested.

It'll be fine. :)
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I have been flying with my daughter since she was 8 weeks old. She is now 6. We fly about 3 times a year.
    Here are a few things to make life easier -

1st - If you are nervous - don't show it. Make it an adventure. My daughter always sits by the window and she gets to see everything and point things out.
    2nd - Make sure you take your child to the bathroom BEFORE you get on the plane. Those bathrooms are awful for a kid.
    3rd - Be prepared. Have plenty of snacks on hand.
    4th - bring a couple of his favorite activities. Ours is drawing - So I always get a new activity/drawing pad and crayons before we go. And, we bring her leapster with headphones. I have, in the past, brought her portable DVD player and about 4 movies - that works well.

It sounds like a lot of stuff to keep up with, but I have a bag that has lots of pockets and it fits under the seat so everything is right where I can get it.
    Good luck and have fun!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2007, 08:57 AM
    I travelled last year with my 4.5 year old. I agree with the above comments - the children absolutely feed on the feelings of their parents. If you are nervous and anxious the child will feel the same way... however, if you are happy and excited about the trip and believe that air travel is fun and cool then they will feel the same way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Traveling [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Im Michael Conti. Im currently enrolled in the University of Las Vegas, Nevada. Lately I have been distracted from my work in school. Im really beginning to Wonder what is out there? Im interested in experiencing new cultures, eating new food and Seeing new places and people. Im...

Movie about family traveling west [ 1 Answers ]

I was hoping that someone on here could tell me the name of a movie that I saw on TV in the 60's - 70's about a pioneer family traveling west on a wagon train. I believe that they were headed to Oregon. They had a son who fell in love with a young lady on the trail & if I remember correctly, they...

Best small laptop for traveling [ 2 Answers ]

When I travel I would like to be able to use a small,light, inexpensive laptop which would allow me to do 2 things only: send and receive e mail and access information from the Internet using the Google search engine.I would like to be able to use it without any wires on airplanes,cars,ships ,in...

Traveling to canada [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancée is a convicted felon and we want to go to canada for a weekend with our kids but we are unsure whether he can go or not due to being a felon, does anyone know how I can find out if he is able too? He isn't on probation he has been trouble free since 2000

Headlights blink when traveling [ 3 Answers ]

I have a blue bird bus. When I turn the lights on they stay on but when I start to drive they blink on and off. I've checked for water in the lens. Anything else I can look for?

View more questions Search