Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    s276654 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 12:37 AM
    Elementry Education Major
    I have always wanted to be a teacher and I love kids but some of the stuff that I hear about teaching is ridiculous. Is it really worth going through college? The long hours and little pay?
    Thanks
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Only you can decide that. When you get to your local library, look for the magazine the NEA publishes. I cannot remember the name now, but every month there are topics relating to various aspects of teaching. There was an issue a few months ago devoted to money and the value of the work done and not being appreciated for ALL the work the teacher really does. I do not know how to put a value on comparing the wages of a teacher versus that of someone who went to tech college. My oldest graduated with a HVAC certification and makes close to $15.00/hr plus overtime and bonus pay - and he has only been with his employer six months. I am glad for him!

A teacher does not get overtime, nor bonus pay, as far as I know. But then it has always been the idea that one who teaches is not in it for the money. Teachers have that higher ideal. Thank goodness they do. But who can eat ideals, who can retire on ideals? Also, with the discipline and respect problems one sees in school, many teachers have asked is it worth it any longer?

One of my college classmates left ND, after years of teaching here, to go and teach in CA. Said his salary was going to be $75,00 a year - positively the best ever. No one told him that the cost of living in CA would eat that $75,00 up as quick as any salary does anywhere.

I don't mind to sound like a sour note, but there are many things to consider when you think about a teaching career. Keep your options open. People with teaching careers still teach but explore other avenues such as writing curriculum, research development, etc.

Wishing you the best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 07:09 AM
    You don't get into teaching to be rich, you don't do it because it has short hours, You do it because you have a desire to.

The same reason some people become firemen and other police officers, teachers get paid great compaired to those jobs and normally the police and fire have longer hours.

Also some do it since they don't want to drive a truck or ask people for the next 40 years if they want fries with that hamburger either.

So if you are questioning the job because of the pay, or hours, then you are not "called" to be a teacher, a person becomes a teacher in spite of this.

If you want a job for the money, go to college and be a research scientist or a computer engineer.

As shy noted, I have 4 older boys, 2 went and got their HVAC plus plumbing and electrical certifications, I guess they make well over that 100,00 plus, another went into the army and learned to operate the big cranes, I have no idea how much he earns ( although he is always on the road somewhere).

But it is the same reason a person would be a preacher, going years of school, to make 30,000 a year. It is a calling
    Parajr Posts: 149, Reputation: 21

Mar 10, 2007, 07:38 PM
    I have been a teacher for five years now. I have to admit that I never really wanted to be teacher, but now that I am one I don't complain about the pay. My wife is a teacher, but she hates it. I love it because it gives me an opportunity to help young people. If you are going into it for cash you are doing the wrong thing. If you really love children and want to help them you may do well. I have to be honest, there is a lot of red tape and strings attached, and you have to be tough because of the way kids act now.
    user812 Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Mar 10, 2007, 07:50 PM
    You teach for the love of educating children. You use any extra money you have left over for lottery tickets and praying always helps. However, teaching is a VERY rewarding job when you see the difference you make in the lives of others!
    s276654 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Thanks everyone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Major Help [ 2 Answers ]

Ok Last yr my 10 yr old daughter went to live with her father, we agreed if she wanted to come back home she could. We went to court and made it to where he had physical cutody, but judge left me with lega custody. I was to have visitation every other weekend Well I got it about 3 times.. the...

Uniforms in Elementry school [ 2 Answers ]

Should Elementary kids be made to wear uniforms..? What are some of the pros and cons about wearing uniforms?

I need major help! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a big problem at school. OK, there is this guy and he has a girlfriend. At the beginning og November he was flirting with me. But I didn't know that he had a girlfriend. So, one of my friends say that he said that I went to talk to him saying that to break up with his girl friend. Which I...

Help me! I'm having a major break down! [ 7 Answers ]

There are two guys at school they both like me. One's a year older, the other is the same age. The guy who is the same age as me is going to ask me out soon it's what my friends all say who overheard him talking but he would treat "Going Out" as just a title and that's not what I want but he's...

View more questions Search