Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babi_gurl Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2007, 11:02 PM
    Nature of matter
    Hey I need help with the question bel0w

1.00 mL of dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) has a mass of 1.2g. 1.2g carbon dioxide gas at standard atmospheric pressure and 25 degrees C has a volume of 670mL. Given that 1.2g of solid and of gas each contain the same number of particles, and that the actual particles have the same total volume both in the gas and solid, calculate the % of the total volume of the gas that is empty space.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Mar 4, 2007, 11:18 AM
    I think this problem wants us to assume that there's no empty space in the dry ice... I'm not sure I agree but I'll assume that fact for this answer.

If 1.2g of solid CO2 takes up 1.0mL space (and the sold is assumed to contain no empty space) and 1.2g of gaseous CO2 takes up 670mL of space. Then what do you think explains the difference in volume (1mL vs 670mL)? Now you can determine how much of the gas is empty space, and then you can determine what percent of 670mL that number is. Then you're done.

Ask if you have any more questions and post what results you have at that point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Nature Of The Human Soul: [ 28 Answers ]

What lies ahead as the ultimate destiny of the soul? HANK :)

Are we good by nature? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everybody! I wasn't sure where to place this, the other option was "religion" but I decided not to make it merely a religion-related topic, because this might have taken to debate to a certain direction. On the other hand, I was afraid "Philosophy" was too, high, so I had a swift glance around,...

Vector nature of forces [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am having some troubles with the following question I am a beginner to physics and have ebeen trying to figure this out. If someone could give me the steps to follow it would be great. The question is as follows: A surfer "hangs ten" and accerlates down the sloping face of a wave if the...

Expenses of a capital nature [ 1 Answers ]

Please give me examples of expenses of a capital nature. Thanks

A sneaky nature... [ 18 Answers ]

My husband of 30 years has fantazied with every woman he comes in contact with, even as we are together. He sneaks winks, touchs and speical connections with any woman, regardless if he knows her or not. It seems to be a challenge to see if he can get them to respond. When we are in public he is...

View more questions Search