Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swhipple Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
    NC Lease Question
    I signed a 1yr lease. I have 6 months left on the lease. Can I terminate the lease with a 60 day notice, even if this is not provided for in the lease?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by swhipple View Post
    I signed a 1yr lease. I have 6 months left on the lease. Can I terminate the lease with a 60 day notice, even if this is not provided for in the lease?

The terms of the lease are on the paper - if it's not written down, it doesn't apply.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
    You can terminate the lease but you will still be responsible for the rent until the end of the one year period or until the landlord has a new tenant move in, whichever occurs first.

In most states the landlord is required to try and find a new tenant if the former tenant breaks the lease. But some states, most notably Florida, do not require the landlord to make an effort to find a new tenant.

Try speaking to the landlord about your situation. They may allow you out of the lease in return for some type of payment, such as forfeiting your security deposit. Or they may allow you to find someone to take over the balance of your lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease question [ 7 Answers ]

My Lease reads the following way, when would my lease be over? "The lease term shall commence on May 2 2011 (commencement date), and continue for 12 calendar months beginning on the first day of the first full calendar month after the commencement date."

Lease Question, Please Help! [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, bear with me a sec.. Here's the whole story.. I moved into an apartment complex and signed a year lease. A few months pass by, and I end up working for the apartment complex. They said they could not pay me cash, but would pay me in comped rent. I said that would be fine, so they end up making...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

Lease question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roommate that has decided not to pay rent. Now I understand that in most cases I become responsible but there is a line on the lease that says "Each RESIDENT is individually responsible for paying the full amount of rent and any other money owed to MANAGEMENT". However, is says that...

View more questions Search