Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jake4 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Hot neutral wire
    Half of the house, has no power. I checked everything I thought it was, but not having any luck. I checked boxes where the power is not working for loose neutral, nothing. I have checked for lost leg in panel, nothing. I have checked for loose neutrals in panel, nothing.
    I have also unplugged other items out of working outlets, nothing. I am at a lost I kind of wondering if I have a broken neutral in the wall. But nothing has been changed, or worked on recently , besides new meter boxes being put in two months ago. I have also checked there and every thing looks fine also. Any answers would be great. Thanks jake
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2007, 09:26 PM
    When you say half the house is this one circuit or several circuits?

One circuit will be a loose or broken connection, splice, or even a broken wire.

If several circuits are out need to start looking at the panel.

Your heading says Hot Neutral. If the neutral is hot at the outlets with no power, this is an indication of a open neutral elsewhere. The neutral is reading hot due to a break and devices on that circuit are looking for a complete circuit so the neutral appears to be hot at the disconnected side of the circuit.

Not sure if this makes sense, if a sketch will be better to help understand let me know.

Mar 4, 2007, 08:30 AM
    When I say half the house, I did amp checks on all the breakers and three out of the eight 120vac breakers are not pulling any amps. Inside the panel every breaker has 120 vac coming out, I pretty sure its not in the panel. By the way this in a moble home that was manufactured in 1994

Mar 4, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Thanks for the help, found problem. It was just on one circuit. Kind of hard to track in a mobile home when it was at least one fixture in every room. Found neutral on a outlet that had a bad connection and melted a little bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral Wire is Hot [ 11 Answers ]

I have problem with on one of the electrical outlet in my house. The problem is this, I measured from (Neutral to Ground 120V, Hot to Ground 0V and Hot to Neutral 120V). The power on this outlet will shutdown If I plug a coffee maker, radio Ect... into this outlet. Can you please advice what...

Neutral Break or loose wire? [ 16 Answers ]

The last couple of days, the receptacle where our entertainment appliances are plugged in has been intermittently failing (power loss). Tonight, I had a chance to investigate (but unfortunately killed the power and pulled the receptacle before checking voltages, thinking it was going to be a bad...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Hot neutral Wires [ 6 Answers ]

The wife turned on the toaster this morning and the thing quit and the receptacle was melted a bit,the breaker never tripped, fridges outlet does not work along with two in the living room. I replaced the melted receptacle. Still nothing on all four outlets the NEUTRAL reads 120 volts with ground...

Hot neutral [ 6 Answers ]

Very confused as to way the breaker does not trip if I have a hot neutral. We had a heated water bowl for the houses and the water beencame live. 110 to the neutral.So way did the breaker not trip. Stan

View more questions Search