Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MEANY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Georgia State Income tax on interest income earned and received in a Foreign country
    I have two questions related to the above:

1. Do I have to pay Georgia State tax on the interest income earned and received abroad ?

2.Can I claim credit for taxes paid overseas on this interest income?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
    If you file as a resident alien or U.S. citizen, filing Form 1040 or 1040A or 1040EZ, then, yes, you must claim foreign-based interest earned on BOTH your federal and Georgia state income tax return.

While you DO get to claim for the foreign taxes paid on your federal income tax return using Form 1116, you CANNOT claim a similar credit on your state income tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to pay tax on Income like salary, interest etc earned in home country [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing 1040NR, do I need to pay taxes on my slary earned in my home country not related to US employment?

Live in foreign country, maintain home in Georgia. Withhold GA income Tax? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a foreign country and maintain a home in Georgia. Does my Maryland-based employer need to withhold income taxes for Georgia? I only spend about 6 weeks in Georgia each year, as vacation time. I have no other home in the USA. I have registered to vote in Georgia and call it my "home".

Foreign country income & NJ income tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I use to live and work in Saudi Arabia. I'm now retired and live in the state of NJ. I receive retirement benefits from my company in Saudi Arabia. Should this be included on my NJ Tax return?

Foreign earned income and New York state tax [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if my 2007 bonus should be considered as New York source income or not or should it be all foreign earned income. 1. I worked in NYC from 1/2007-5/2007, then moved to work in UK since then. 2. My 2007 bonus was paid in 2008 and was on 2008 W-2, and some NY state tax was...

Foreign Earned Income & Bank Interest [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am checking this for my married friends who are US citizens. They have been filing their foreign earned income jointly (Form 2555EZ) with the bona fide status since 2007. 1. One of the couple changed job last year so does he need to file 2 separate forms of 2555EZ for each employer's...

View more questions Search