Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krames Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 01:14 PM
    How can something orbit north south or south north?
    I understand that pretty much everything from comets, planets and our own weather that everything tends to gravitate with an east west or west east movement. I get the idea of how an object in orbit gravitates around the planet but that is with a west east kind of movement. If an object is orbitting earth and has a north south orbit would it not need propulsion to continuosly push this object to match the speed of earth as it goes around it? If an object is propelled would it not be considered flying instead of orbitting? Wouldn't an object in a north south or south north, however you want to look at it, orbit would then be moving in more of a corckscrew path to maintain a straight line?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 01:25 PM
    It's certainly possible to have a north-south orbit - meaning that the satellite passes over the north and south pole each orbit. For such a satellite that orbits every 90 minutes (similar orbital period as the international space station) the earth rotates under it by about 25 degrees or so for each orbit. Observers on the ground would see the craft having a slight east-west drift as it passes overhead, deviating from true north-south by just 3 or 4 degrees.

It would not be possible to have an absolutely true north-south orbit as observed by someone on the surface of the earth without some form of propulsion to make it steer east-west as it orbits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

North or South Magnetic Field? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know the polarity of my magnet. I don't know if it's north, south, or a different one on each side. How do I find out?

North, south, east, west [ 0 Answers ]

How does one write the English words: NORTH - SOUTH - EAST - WEST in Sanskrit please?

How do you find out the north and the south pole of a magnet [ 13 Answers ]

I am making a small wind turbine and I got magnets but it doesn't say which side is north and which side is south. AND I CHECKED THE INTERNET AND IT SAYS IF U WANT YOUR TURBINE TO WORK THEY HAVE TO BE ALL FACING NORTH OR ALL SOUTH I am not sure but I think you use a compass or something else...

Who won Vietnam war? North or South Korea? [ 14 Answers ]

Simply, put who won the Vietnam war?

Channal you music/web/ north,east, south, west [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a web were you can lisen to R&B, hip-hop and watever. Secondly have you heard the video on channal you that goes something lyk this at the begging (north,east,south,west) and every one is wearing those t-shirts that say what side there on (e.g north side) and so on. :D I lyk that...

View more questions Search