Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Dec 28, 2004, 02:25 PM
    Ip address
    I have two routers one behind the other. Yes I said two routers, one is a wired and the other is wireless I had to make some changes and now I can not get the wireless router to issue any ip address to the systems on it. The address that are given out is the ones that are default for the system in the range of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. Now my question is what have I done wrong. This setup was working two days ago but now it will not work correctly. I was trying to find a cheap way to extend the range of the network but I just got a wireless access point to extend the range but I can not use it because the ip address thing. If I give the system a static address then I can connect to the router setup screen but nothing other then that. What have I done wrong? The network was working to a few months until this mishap I have even tried to use multiple cards and even tried to run a winsock fix on those systems and nothing helps. I am in need of help and at a loss for what to do.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 29, 2004, 10:16 AM
    Okay... The wireless router is behind the wired one, right?

Can a machine connected directly to the wired router get an IP?

Can a machine talking to the wireless router (with a static IP) ping the wired router?

When you tried to "extend" the network, was this problem already existing, or did it occur as a result of the "extension" that was made?

Take a look at the wireless router's web interface. Check the DHCP settings and be sure they are correct. Also, see if you can get it to display its routing tables, see if they look correct.

:)

~psi42
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2005, 07:39 PM
    Got the problem fixed sorry that it took so long to reply to this. I had to reset the second router a couple times, change the channel it was on and then change the ip address range for the local network. Now it works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot renew my IP address. [ 16 Answers ]

Hey I am new here and I was just wondering why I cannot renew my IP. I have tried for a month or so now and Google search after Google search, I am getting more frusterated. I haven't seen or heard of a problem like mine. The problem I am having is my IP address will not renew, yet I have an...

Ip address [ 6 Answers ]

How will I know the ip address of a computer.. Any answer will be appreciated.. Tnx..

IE Address Bar Help [ 11 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to block the pulldown from dropping down on the address bar so all of the websites previously visited are not visible to other users?

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

View more questions Search