Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12251992 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Jewlery theft over 5000
    I am 19 year old female with no criminal record. I made the mistake of stealing around 5600 dollars worth of jewlery. They are considering pressing charges. I gave the jewlery back and wrote an apology letter. There is also no evidence other than my confession. What can be the outcome of this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 12251992 View Post
    I am 19 year old female with no criminal record. I made the mistake of stealing around 5600 dollars worth of jewlery. They are considering pressing charges. I gave the jewlery back and wrote an apology letter. There is also no evidence other than my confession. What can be the outcome of this?
    They don't need evidence - you confessed!

What happens next depends on where you are and if this was employee theft.

Jul 17, 2012, 01:20 PM
    It was an employee theft and I am in Alberta canada

Jul 17, 2012, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    They don't need evidence - you confessed!

What happens next depends on where you are and if this was employee theft.
    It was an employee thedt and I am in Alberta Canada. Any suggestions on how I can convince my employer not to press charges? He is out of town till Thursday and is only considering pressing charges.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 01:44 PM
    It was an employee thedt and I am in Alberta Canada. Any suggestions on how I can convince my employer not to press charges? He is out of town till Thursday and is only considering pressing charges.

The best you do is apologize sincerely and in a heartfelt manner, say you've learned your lesson (not because you got caught but because you feel terrible that you betrayed his trust), along those lines.

Over $5,000 you are not eligible for any special programs.

Jul 17, 2012, 01:55 PM
    The best you do is apologize sincerely and in a heartfelt manner, say you've learned your lesson (not because you got caught but because you feel terrible that you betrayed his trust), along those lines.

Over $5,000 you are not eligible for any special programs.
    Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
    At least a real criminal for a change, anyone else get tired of these people that steal 5 or 10 dollars worth of things.

But if they report this to the Crown, you can be arrested and will most likely get some jail time. There is nothing you can do now but hope they don't

Jul 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    At least a real criminal for a change, anyone else get tired of these people that steal 5 or 10 dollars worth of things.

But if they report this to the Crown, you can be arrested and will most likely get some jail time. There is nothing you can do now but hope they don't
    Do you know if it will cost them money to press charges? I mean won't that take time and money out of their pocket, considering all their missing product is accounted for?
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 05:17 PM
    Do you know if it will cost them money to press charges? I mean wont that take time and money out of their pocket, considering all their missing product is accounted for?

No, why would it cost them money? The Police take the report, the Province prosecutes, they don't even need an Attorney.

You, on the other hand, have additional expenses.

Maybe they're a little upset that you stole from them and now your interest is how to get out of it?

Jul 17, 2012, 05:22 PM
    No, why would it cost them money? The Police take the report, the Province prosecutes, they don't even need an Attorney.

You, on the other hand, have additional
    expenses.

Maybe they're a little upset that you stole from them and now your interest is how to get out of it?
    I read somewhere it costs them cort fees to press charges. But yea I'm thinking about paying them for the potential losts sale I may have stopped them from having.

Jul 17, 2012, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

And I'm not a "real criminal" I made a very stupid mistake that I am sorry for and am trying to make right
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
    And im not a "real criminal" I made a very stupid mistake that I am sorry for and am trying to make right
    Sorry, but you are a criminal. Every thief says it's a mistake when they get caught. You may have made a mistake, and may have learned from it, but you are a criminal. It's just still up in the air whether this will be something you pay for with more than just money and an apology.

I live in Alberta too. Theft over $5000, with a confession. If they prosecute you'll do jail time, and no, it won't cost them a cent. Once they call the police and press charges it's out of their hands, and they won't pay a cent.

Jul 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Sorry, but you are a criminal. Every thief says it's a mistake when they get caught. You may have made a mistake, and may have learned from it, but you are a criminal. It's just still up in the air whether this will be something you pay for with more than just money and an apology.

I live in Alberta too. Theft over $5000, with a confession. If they prosecute you'll do jail time, and no, it won't cost them a cent. Once they call the police and press charges it's out of their hands, and they won't pay a cent.
    Idn if you guys are Christian but I am and can you please pray for me? I don't want to go to jail!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 10:02 PM
    idn if you guys are Christian but I am and can you please pray for me? I dont want to go to jail!
    Sorry, I'm not Christian, and if I were I really can't say I'd pray for something like this. I'm assuming you are Christian. Did you miss the "Thou shalt not steal" part of the bible, it's on the top 10 list of sins.

You say you learned your lesson, if so, I hope that they don't charge you and that you never do anything like this again. But I've heard too many people say that they're sorry and they made a mistake, only to make the same mistake again. Most times they're not sorry they did it, they're just sorry they got caught. Not saying that's you, but that seems to be the norm. Hopefully you're not the norm.

I wish you the best of luck.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 17, 2012, 11:46 PM
    An apology with no excuses is your ONLY hope. If you start any of what you are starting here, you will merely annoy the heck out of the employer. The most common and most annoying one of course is calling theft a 'mistake.' A mistake is when you drop a slippery glass or think my name is Sue. The word to describe it is 'wrong.'
    And it takes a Christian to pray? Please.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 11:59 PM
    Now you say you made a mistake but originally you did it on purpose. It's just a mistake now because you got caught. I'm a Christian, but you broke one of the Ten Commandments, so I believe you deserve to be punished for your crime.

You ARE indeed a criminal. You didn't lift a $5 or $10 object. You stole five THOUSAND six HUNDRED dollars worth of jewelry and you should be punished.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2012, 05:10 AM
    idn if you guys are Christian but I am and can you please pray for me? I dont want to go to jail!

Oh, please - you're not a criminal. You "just" stole over $5,000 from your employer, someone who trusted you.

You have no understanding how the legal system works if your concern (as expressed) is whether your employer will need to spend money to prosecute you.

Now you are asking for prayers? It's a little late to get religion. Were you praying when you were stealing, praying that you wouldn't get caught?

I gave you good legal advice, sound advice. This is a legal board. That's what "we" do here.

And as far as what should happen to you - as a good friend of mine said yesterday, "I've only known you for 5 minutes and I don't like you already."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000 [ 13 Answers ]

I was shopping at a local store when I put my child in a display stroller. She started to act up , making me frustrated so I paid for my items, forgetting about the stroller and left the store. Once I got up to my car and started to put my items away, I realized I took the stroller! My mom was on...

THEFT UNDER $5000 - second offence. (1st offence = theft from employer) [ 10 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. Living in british columbia, canada. Yesterday me and my friend were shoplifting at metrotown mall.. we were being followed around the mall because of our big purses and did not know it until we went into "old navy" where we saw a bunch of bathing suits and flip flops and jammed...

Theft Under $5000 [ 2 Answers ]

Recently I did something really stupid. I won't go into much detail about how stupid I was for doing it the point is I did it. I stole around $50 dollars from the till that I was working. Now I've been charged with Theft under $5000 which I understand. But I need to know two things. They...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

View more questions Search