Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikebrough Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Mar 3, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Murray riding mower just clicks when try to start
    Murrey riding lawnmower just clicks when I try to start it. Battery is good. Engine is good, have gas. Is there a starter or solinoid switch that might need to be replaced? If so where is it?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2007, 02:34 AM
    Look under the dash panel, it'll have a big red wire going to it, and one going to the starter... turn the key to the on position and take a s crewdriver... jump the two posts. If it indeed starts, it's the solenoid. They usually just click when either the batterys dead, bad connection, or they are worn out.

Mar 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    Look under the dash panel, it'll have a big red wire going to it, and one going to the starter.... turn the key to the on position and take a s crewdriver... jump the two posts. If it indeed starts, its the solenoid. They usually just click when either the batterys dead, bad connection, or they are worn out.
    Hey thanks for the suggestion. I tried to jump the solenoid posts with screwdriver. Still just clicks. Disconnected all connections on solinoid and cleaned. Cleaned battery connections and charged battery just to be sure. Still just clicks. Any other suggestions?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Have you checked to see if engine rotates? Check voltage at starter and make sure in "Start" you have plenty of voltage at starter. If you do then starter is bad, if not follow the path of current back.
    Don

Mar 4, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    Have you checked to see if engine rotates? check voltage at starter and make sure in "Start" you have plenty of voltage at starter. If you do then starter is bad, if not follow the path of current back.
    Don

Thanks Don. So, help with details. I know where starter is but where do I connect voltage meter to check for voltage, and what should it be with key in "Start" position?
    You say if I have voltage at starter it is bad. What voltage do I need to see at start for it to be good or bad?

Check to see if engine rotates? How do I do that?

Mar 4, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Very good questions and I should be a little more detailed in my instructions,
    If you own a volt meter turn it to dc volts, If not go no further and take it in to a repair shop.

There will be a large wire coming from solenoid to starter, check for 12-V at the starter side of solenoid when the key is in the "start" position.

As for rotating the engine, get hold of the pulley underneath and see if the engine rotates. Be sure and disconnect the plug wire first.

If you give me some contact info through Private message I will be glad to walk you through it.

Don
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2007, 09:32 PM
    If you have jumper cables you can hook the hot directly to the large wire on the starter and then touch the ground jumper to any metal on the frame of the mower. You should have the engine running on the jumper vehicle. When you touch the ground jumper to the frame something should turn, if not something is wrong with the starter or the engine is so thing that it is hard to turn.
    jmerricky2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
    How to adust valves on 16.5 hp murrary auto drv
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 12:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmerricky2
    how to adust valves on 16.5 hp murrary auto drv
    Single or twin engine? Ohv or side valve flat head?

Mar 18, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Problem ended up being a bad solenoid. Thanks for the all the help.

Mar 18, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebrough
    Hey thanks for the suggestion. I tried to jump the solenoid posts with screwdriver. Still just clicks. Disconnected all connections on solinoid and cleaned. Cleaned battery connections and charged battery just to be sure. Still just clicks. Any other suggestions?
    The solenoid jumper test should have started it, riding mower solenoids are terrible products. They are not weather proof and are exposed to moisture causing corrosion. If you replaced it, open the old one and take a look the contacts are probably corroded.

Not sure of bikerguys response? If the solenoid cured the problem then why disagree?

The information posted is as much for the person asking as for others coming along later for the same info.
    kedronglobal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebrough
    Murrey riding lawnmower just clicks when I try to start it. Battery is good. Engine is good, have gas. Is there a starter or solinoid switch that might need to be replaced? If so where is it?
    The starter switch is a part of the mechanism where you place the key.
    There are two clips that hold this "key switch in-place"
    The key switch will come out.
    Simply take the old switch to the Murray dealer and get a replacement.
    Save yourself $75 for labor.
    tinared123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 06:23 PM
    I have a murray 2000 model 42515X92A I need to replace the starter the gear broke of the starter so I sent know how it orig. looked and the list of parts in the manual does not give a part number for the starter?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Riding Mower won't move [ 10 Answers ]

My Murray Riding Mower is 7 yrs old. When I last started the mower it started but does not move forward or backward. Can anyone asvise what could be wrong, e.g. transmission and is it worth repairing, or could it be repaired.

Murray Riding mower won't start [ 13 Answers ]

Driving along and it died, won't restart. Engine turns over, fire is getting to the spark plug, but won't kick in. Anybody know how to troubleshoot this problem. I hate to take it to the shop, feel like it is a simple problem. It has gas, the plug is new, and has oil. Susan:confused:

OLD Murray Riding Mower Issue [ 10 Answers ]

We bought a used Murray riding mower a few months ago for $150. It was a great price & has worked quite well with minimal issues until now. So far it had only need a belt, a new spark plug & some paint. Now, one of the deck belts shredded & got flung off the deck and THIS is where my problem...

Old Murray riding mower [ 8 Answers ]

I bought an old Murray riding mower last year. I'm not sure what year it is, but here is my problem: One of the rear tires has a flat, instead of loading up the whole mower in the back of the truck, I wouldm like to remove the wheel. I removed the holding pin and the washer from the outside of the...

Murray Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a murray riding mower that I purchased in August of 1991. Apparently I need a new transaxle because it will not go in gear at all. The part # in the book is Dana model 4450-1 which I have been unable to locate, the only reference I have come across for the part says that it has been...

View more questions Search