Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sloanland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2012, 11:18 PM
    How to tell if a cantilevered balcony is safe
    Hi, I am purchasing a home with a cantilevered balcony, built in 1960. The balcony runs the entire length of the house (42 ft) and is 5 ft wide. The floor of the balcony is covered with plywood which is topped with outdoor carpet. The roof completely overhangs the balcony and the underside of the balcony is also enclosed with plywood. Therefore the joists are pretty well sealed up. My question is... how can I be sure this balcony is safe without being able to see the joists? Could the joists be rotted even though they're sealed up? How would I know? I'm afraid of getting stuck with a huge problem safety-wise and money-wise. Any advice? Would it be difficult to convert the balcony to a larger deck? Thanks.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 15, 2012, 11:52 PM
    Are you asking for a way to inspect before you buy, or is it a done deal?
    I'd say you have to randomly remove some of the plywood underneath, probably at the ends or where there is the most water draining.
    To build a deeper 42' deck will be expensive, lots of dumpster debris and you will need footings and piers below the frost line (42" where I live), every X feet apart as required by depth and code in your area.
    Consider a section of deeper deck, not the whole 42'?
    sloanland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 12:11 AM
    Yes, a way to inspect before buying as we're still in the negotiation stage.

If we built a deck it wouldn't have to be the entire 42 ft, but how would you get rid of the cantilevered joists in order to apply a ledger board?

Thanks.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
    The size of new deck would determine if u have to remove the cantilever beams. If the existing beams are large enough, u slide new beams along side and nail them together. Be sure new beams sit on the house plate. U will have to put blocking to close off opening to house.

Put girder about 2' back from outside edge of deck to support the new beams.

Chuck
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2012, 03:53 AM
    I wouldn't call joists covered with plywood for 50+ years "sealed up" exactly. You are very wise to investigate and fully inspect this situation before you make any commitment.
    If there is deterioration it could also extend to the inside of the buidling.
    The cost to properly inspect the structure may be more than you want to invest, unless the house and land are really appealing to you for other important reasons.
    Personally, with generally so many houses being available in most areas, I would keep looking and if I wanted a balcony or deck-just start from scratch with another house and build something that I knew would last.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vents in Cantilevered Floor [ 0 Answers ]

Our home inspector said that the underside of the cantilevered 2nd story floor should not have soffit vents because they make the home energy inefficient. I have found differing opinions. Should the area be insulated, air sealed and replaced with solid soffit or do the vents allow some type of...

Cantilevered Deck/addition. [ 5 Answers ]

OK,I have a 6' (cantilever)extension on the deck with the 2X8's hanging out another 12"(with a tapered corner on the base for decorative),I want to extend the deck out about 12' further. Knowing the weight will be much greater with the new 12' extension I will need to support the joint where I...

Cantilevered additions [ 2 Answers ]

What are the rules for a cantilevered addition? I would like to bump out a wall without the complications of a foundation.

Reinforcing cantilevered addition to house [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a two level, daylight ranch built in 1951 on a slope with the top floor exiting at ground level in the back and the bottom floor exiting at ground level in the front. Subsequent to initial construction, a 10' x 16' cantilevered (overhanging) extension of the livingroom on the top floor...

Cantilevered soffit overhang [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you very much for your answers but I know not to stop air flow in the soffit for a roof. I apologize for not explaining the question correctly. The overhang that Iam talking about is not the one for the roof. This overhang is a overhang which is cantilevered over the top plate of the first...

View more questions Search