Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sley2sell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Dimmer switch
    I am trying to change a regular light switch (2 wires red and black) with a dimmer switch with 3 wires ( 2 black and a green) where do you connect these 3 wires? THX.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 3, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sley2sell
    I am trying to change a regular light switch (2 wires red and black) with a dimmer switch with 3 wires ( 2 black and a green) where do you connect these 3 wires? THX.
    The green wire connects to the either the bare wires or the metal box. If box is plastic then the green can be capped and stowed. Polarity is not an issue unless a white wire is in the box. If not, then this switch leg is a series connection and will not affect the circuit.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Just to clarify something, if the box is plastic, there most likely is a bare wire inside the box, since Romex is used with plastic boxes, and the green wire must connect to the bare. I know this is what Nmwirez meant, but worded it in such a way to imply that if there is a plastic box to always cap the green, which should not be done.

Most dimmers made today are solid state and required an equipment ground.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 3, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Just to clarify something, if the box is plastic, there most likely is a bare wire inside the box, since Romex is used with plastic boxes, and the green wire must connect to the bare. I know this is what Nmwirez meant, but worded it in such a way to imply that if there is a plastic box to always cap the green, which should not be done.

Most dimmers made today are solid state and required an equipment ground.

Tx tk, I lost the first reply and shortened up the second one. I agree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dimmer switch hot [ 4 Answers ]

We recently changed over fluorescent lighting to track lighting with a dimmer switch. Recently I noticed that there was a bit of a blue spark when we turned the switch off and the switch itself was warm. What would the problem here be?:confused:

Dimmer switch is rinning [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two dimmer switches on two different lights and both are single pole. Now I have a high frequency ring tone when the switch is set on a low setting. The switches can be used for single or three way. Any suggestions other turn up the stereo? hoff179

Dimmer switch for a fan and light [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a dual dimmer switch for a light and fan on the same switch. I can adjust the fan speed only from one side but every time I adjust the light switch, the fan also adjusts according to how I adjust the light. I have a black(hot) wire, a red wire and a bare copper cable coming from...

Dimmer Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of four standard toggle switches next to each other all controlling different lights within the house. I want to replace one of those toggle switchs with a dimmer for one of the lights. I just wanted to maker sure that putting a dimmer switch in between the other toggle switches...

Fan and dimmer switch problem [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a bathroom extractor fan which works from a dimmer switch also wired to a light? When the light is on dim, the fan does not come on, but when it is up full, the fan switches in. This is great at night when you visit the loo and don't want to wake your partner with a bright light...

View more questions Search