Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mguiraud Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Step by step needed to become and operate as a Talent Agent
    Hi,

I am interested in operating a Talent agency of my own, and would appreciate any information on where to begin the process. I know I need to get licensed and a surety bond in the amount of $50,000 according to the new standards, but I need to know where to go to get the application for licensing as well as the bond application, and is there anything else I need to apply for to began working as a Talent Agent.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Mar 3, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Tell me what state/county or city is requiring the bond and I may be able to send both the application and the surety bond form to you so you can take it to an agent in your state.
    mguiraud Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 11:52 PM
    Hello Richard,

I appreciate your response to my question. I am located in los Angeles, California. You mentioned you may be able to send me an application and I'm to take it to an agent?
    I'm curious, why would I have to take to another agent? I'm looking to file applications to become an agent and work for myself and I recall reading up on Talent Agents in California needing to apply for a Surety Bond and for a License. Do you know were I would get this license application?

Thanks again,

Margaret

Mar 5, 2007, 03:44 AM
    By agent I meant an insurance agent, here are the steps to follow, obtain the application to the city, state, county to become a talent agent and in order for you to be granted a license, you must post a surety bond for whatever amount and by using the surety bond form or instrument the county, state, city requires. You would then take that bond form to an agent, perhaps then have to complete an application to the surety company and the surety then will issue the surety bond which you give the original of to the city, state or county that is requiring the bond. Should you violate any terms of your license, then the bond will be in default and you will have to remimburse the surety. I can Google "CA" or "LA" or whatever govt entity is requiring the bond, perhaps locate the surety bond form for you or you can do it yourself. My best guess the bond penalty is from 10,000 to 50,000. And the annual premium will probably be anywhere from $100. To $250.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mguiraud
    I know I need to get licensed and a surety bond in the amount of $50,000 according to the new standards
    Hello Margaret:

How do you know that? Go back to that source.

By the way, here in Seattle, one doesn't need a license to be a talent agent. Who licenses you anyway?? Nahhh, you don't need no stinkin license...

excon

Mar 5, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Here's a copy of P. 195 or the CA License Handbook that shows you have to have a license and a bond - although the handbook shows a penal amount of $10,000. It appears from my research that the law has changed and now requires a $50,000. Bond - I could not locate the bond form (instrument) that you need to take to an insurance/surety agent but the State will have one, nor could I locate the application for the license that is required. Here's a copy from p. 195 of the CA license handbook I copied. Seems that there have been some financial losses incurred by consumers when dealing with talent agents so that's why it appears that the bond penalty has been increased. Let me know if I can help anymore.

Talent Agency License
    Businesses Requiring License: Entities
    Engaged in the occupation of procuring
    Employment for artists.
    Fees: Application: $25; Examination:
    None; Main Office License: $225; Branch
    Office License: $50.
    Examination Frequency: N/A.
    Examination Locations: N/A.
    Examination Requirement: N/A.
    Average Time to Process Application: 4-8
    Weeks.
    Fee Period: Annually.
    Authority: Labor Code, Sec. 1700.
    Other Special License Requirements: Must
    Deposit with the Labor Commissioner a
    Surety bond of $10,000 and must submit
    Fingerprints.
    DestinyCommunications Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Was this good information and where do you apply for the license?

Oct 1, 2007, 07:06 PM
    It's still in the CA Licensing Handbook. You can view in online. p. 196. call CA about where to apply - they can tell you.
    lovedollmgmt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 08:51 PM
    In California the surety bond is 50,000
    vponte Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Do I need a licence to become a talent agent in New York state? If so where do I get the licence?
    Thanks
    vponte
    BetterStream Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBondMan View Post
    Tell me what state/county or city is requiring the bond and I may be able to send both the application and the surety bond form to you so you can take it to an agent in your state.
    I'm in Massachusetts. I'm ready to get started.
    cdwood25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterStream View Post
    I'm in Massachusetts. I'm ready to get started.
    I am also located in MA and would like to apply.
    Syn3rgymedia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Check out this document. I think it has everything you will need to make an educated decision on where to establish your talent agency. Let me know...

http://www.agentassociation.com/medi...quirements.doc
    mbee04 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 01:58 PM
    I'm also interested in starting a Talent Agency, how do you start?

Quote Originally Posted by mguiraud View Post
    Hi,

I am interested in operating a Talent agency of my own, and would appreciate any information on where to begin the process. I know I need to get licensed and a surety bond in the amount of $50,000 according to the new standards, but I need to know where to go to get the application for licensing as well as the bond application, and is there anything else I need to apply for to began working as a Talent Agent.
    Rahsaana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 11:51 AM
    How to become a licensed talent agency in Louisiana and where do I start?
    AlexLakshtanov Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 05:05 PM
    Thinking of opening up a Talent Agency? $50,000.00 TALENT AGENCY BOND

The Department of Industrial Relations, requires Talent Agencies in California to post a $50,000.00 Talent Agency bond (Bond amount varies for other States). You can read more about it in this link: http://www.agentassociation.com/frontdoor/news_detail.cfm?id=%20429

Also, here is an update to Section 1700.15 of the Labor Code: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/05-06/bill/sen/sb_0151-0200/sb_184_bill_20050718_chaptered.html

If you know anyone that is in need of a Talent Agency Bond, Fee-Related Talent Service Bond, Advance Fee Talent Services or any other bond, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Call or E-Mail for a FREE QUOTE today.

Thank you,

Alex Lakshtanov
    Advanced Surety&Insurance; Agency
    (818) 269-7596
    www.advancedbonding.com
    [email protected]
    Insurance Broker/Agent License# 0G21229
    AlexLakshtanov Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 03:40 AM
    If you are looking to get a new bond or a RENEWAL quote for a $50,000.00 Fee-Related Talent Service Bond or a $50,000.00 Talent Agency Bond, rates are available as low as $500.00* for a one year term, $875.00* for a two year term and $1,250.00* for a three year term.

***These rates are available to applicants with above 700 FICO and a clear credit history with no financials required. If your FICO is borderline, the approval is up to the discretion of the underwriter and financials might be requested.

With 675 FICO or lower, financials will be required and premiums might be higher than the premiums stated above. We can help to obtain a quote regardless of the credit or financial situation.

If you interested in obtaining a quote, please complete the attached application and fax or e-mail it back to me at your earliest convenience.

If you know anyone that is in need of any type of surety bond, please have them contact me at (818) 269-7596.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you for your consideration,

--
    Alex Lakshtanov
    Advanced Surety & Insurance Agency
    Phone: (818) 269-7596
    Fax: (818) 827-1768
    www.advancedbonding.com
    [email protected]
    Insurance Broker/Agent License# 0G21229
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf FEE-RELATED TALENT SERVICE - Bond Application.pdf (107.5 KB, 231 views)
  2. File Type: pdf Talent Agency - Bond Application.pdf (107.5 KB, 236 views)
    ghee99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 02:47 PM
    Hi mguiraud

I am in the same situation, I am an actor, who wants to become a manager (so that I can also self-submit myself, and certain talented friends, and get the breakdowns)

I can get the bond, and meet all the other requirements

But, to become a manager, eligible to get the breakdown, I need to koin the talent managers association (which is kind of worthless, but breakdown services requires it, so "oh well")

In any event, I need to have three industry references, two of whom have to be SAG/AFTRA licensed talent agents

I don't know how to go about finding two agents to recommend me for such a thing

Did you come across this problem?

And, if so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer in this regard

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Talent Agent? Where to start... [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am looking into getting into modelling or acting management. Like an Agent. I was a model for a couple years when I was a teenager, and since having my son, I can't go back... I was hoping to stay in the industry, but on the management side. The fashion industry has...

What Step is Next? [ 9 Answers ]

I was involved in an incident where the police were called by myself on my boyfriend. Charges were laid against him by the police not by myself. I truly believe tempers and emotions were too intense to have made proper decisions regarding both our actions. The next day I called the police and...

What should my next step be? [ 21 Answers ]

OK... long story I will do my best to keep short. My boyfriend (ex-boyfriend?) and I have been together for over 2 years. We had made plans for the future... marriage, house, etc. We lived together since last December. About 2 weeks ago he told me was having doubts about us. About a week...

Right step [ 6 Answers ]

Just like my Id my life is playing a part with me. I am 26 year old man at point 1 ( country ) who had been in long distance arrange marriage with G1 at point 2 ( country ) since last 2 years ( though we never slept with each other ) and we both are muslim as religious background. In 2 years we...

Help with the next step [ 6 Answers ]

My name is Maria and I have just written out my web site for my business, which I would like to launch soon. I think it looks great, but my problem is, I don't know what to do now. What is my next step? Who do I call? I sort-of need not just a web site developer, but all three of these things: ...

View more questions Search