Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lsuwil Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2012, 10:45 AM
    Petrified wood question
    Hi I pick up petrified wood from old railroad tracks and gravel piles , I found the oddest piece the other day , its 2 1/4 inch almost perfect flat on both sides , and a smooth channel where the center would b , looks like I have about a quarter of the rock , its heavy petrified looks like wood or bone , I have never seen anything with the smooth sides and smooth channel , any idea what this is ? Will
    Attached Images

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 04:20 AM
    Just curious. Where did you find this amazingly wonderfully crafted post that you pasted to our forum?
    lsuwil Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2012, 09:47 AM
    It's a old railroad track with a gravel pile that they used for the railroads in the 1950's & 60's , in houma , La. any idea what it is
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 11:44 AM
    Gosh it couldn't be a railroad tie could it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this petrified bone? [ 2 Answers ]

This came from arabia i think, or in that area. approx. 5 inches.open in 3 places and almost looks burnt.the open holes do not go all the way through.

Am I looking at petrified remains of wild life... Or rocks? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an amateur astronomer and archeologist. While surfing through public access to the Mars rovers I came across what looks to be petrified remains. These are unseen photos until I took the screen shots. I would love to get your expert eye on these photos. Please take a look at what is...

How to install wood fencing panels using existing wood fence posts [ 1 Answers ]

Posts are set at same distance required for panels

Petrified bone marrow? [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of bone marrow that is practically petrified? During a total knee replacement my surgeon had to drill out the bone marrow. Yet neither the pathologist who examined the bone fragments, nor the hematologist who I saw can find any evidence of a bone, bone marrow, or a blood...

Wood Burner Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a home with a wood burner add on to the regular forced air heat pump my question is do I need to keep the blower constantly running on the back of the wood burner to circulate the warm or let the blower on my heat pump run to circulate the warm air from the wood burner...

View more questions Search