Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2012, 10:25 AM
    Attached to me like glue
    My rescue (Rott/GSD mix) is now 5 months old. I've had him since he was just over 2 months old. I have a second dog, a 7-year old GSD, and they have become quite attached to each other.

Not to brag but if I ask my GSD where he is, she always finds him and, if he's outside, "ushers" him into the house.

Anyway, I've had rescues my whole life, all good dogs, never had a "bad" dog. He's really good, smart, completely housebroken, he doesn't jump, knows the basic commands, knows the routine - but he's on me like glue all the time. I literally can't move without falling over him. As I type this (on my back deck) he's sleeping on my feet - not next to my feet, on my feet. If I'm in the bathroom he's outside the door. I hang up laundry, he helps. I make the bed, there he is! I take a shower or bath - there he is, outside the tub, sitting there.

I was in the half bath, looked over - and there were his toes, under the door, patting, patting, patting the floor, looking for me.

I don't think it's a confidence issue because he's a pretty tough, fearless little guy, but he has this great need to have me in his line of vision at all times.

He goes to puppy daycare (the GSD stays home and I suspect enjoys the peace and quiet) and is fine when I drop him off and the whole time he's there, but when I come to pick him up he stops whatever he's doing and runs to me as soon as he sees me, crying the whole time.

He's healthy, saw the Vet several times for "well puppy" checks, is friendly (but cautious) with other people.

I don't want him to grow up to be dependent and maybe this is a puppy thing, but I've never faced it before, and I don't know how to deal with it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 10:33 AM
    I had a cat like that, always in my business. Now that he's gone, I ache every single day for that nosiness and special attention, and, yes, love.

Does he have separation anxiety when you are away from home, or does the other dog "fill in" for you?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 10:42 AM
    I'm supposed to be taking a nap right now I am going to be up late tonight (going to see Toby Keith) but I saw this and had to respond.
    My little dog is exactly like this I remove from my pillow at least 3 times a night, constantly almost trip over her when I am cooking, cleaning, gardening, doesn't matter she is my 10 pound shadow.
    She is quite content when I am not home but goes ballistic when I return. I love her dearly, but sometimes I have to scrape her off me.
    So although I don't know how to stop it, I've tried, I've grown sort of used to it.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I had a cat like that, always in my business. Now that he's gone, I ache every single day for that nosiness and special attention, and, yes, love.

Does he have separation anxiety when you are away from home, or does the other dog "fill in" for you?

Laughing - I can see my other dog, Gretchen, wearing a blonde wig with the puppy attached to her.

If he does have a problem when I'm gone I don't know about it - no one has said and he appears thrilled to see me but I don't see anything disturbed.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    I'm supposed to be taking a nap right now I am going to be up late tonight (going to see Toby Keith) but I saw this and had to respond.
    My little dog is exactly like this I remove from my pillow at least 3 times a night, constantly almost trip over her when I am cooking, cleaning, gardening, doesn't matter she is my 10 pound shadow.
    She is quite content when I am not home but goes ballistic when I return. I love her dearly, but sometimes I have to scrape her off of me.
    So although I don't know how to stop it, I've tried, I've grown sort of used to it.

Toby Keith? What time will you be picking me up?

Maybe this is just how it's going to be - when he's bigger at least he'll be easier to track and I'll see him when he's under me.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
    My rescue pointer is the same way. He's a very dependent little guy. I've had him since he was born.. and he would seek my mom and me out and follow us around (which is why my mom wanted to keep him).

Some dogs are just dependent.. and not in a way that makes them sheepish or unable to function without you. Its just who they are and it may or may not disppear the older and bigger he gets.

I would classify it as a form of separation anxiety.. There aren't any panick attacks and he can function when you're not there.. so possibly just a mild case.

I really don't think there is a way to fix the problem. I think ignoring him and not feeding into it is a good choice. The more you pet him and talk to him and acknowledge him following you around, the worse it may get. Just treat him like you do your other dogs. I would also start teaching him the "go lay down" command and point him to a pillow pad or something. My needy little guy will go after the 8th command.. but he does give me my space when I ask for it... otherwise, he'd be perfectly comfortable perched on my head.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
    Be there at 5 sharp, just so you know you will be in charge of keeping the Red solo cups full.

The good thing about your problem is that just like my little girl you'll always know where he is.
    That works out well when we are camping, canoeing etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carpentry/Woodworking... Removing silicone glue and wood glue [ 21 Answers ]

My apologies if this is not the correct forums. I couldn't find a carpentry or woodworking forums. Feel free to point me there. I have a Leslie speaker cabinet I am refinishing. It is plywood with veneer. Someone has glued a bunch of boards inside the cabinet that are in the way and blocking the...

Carpentry/Woodworking... Removing silicone glue and wood glue [ 5 Answers ]

My apologies if this is not the correct forums. I couldn't find a carpentry or woodworking forums. Feel free to point me there. I have a Leslie speaker cabinet I am refinishing. It is plywood with veneer. Someone has glued a bunch of boards inside the cabinet that are in the way and blocking...

What glue would you use to glue copper to mdf [ 2 Answers ]

We want to Glue Copper to MDF

What can take off glue [ 2 Answers ]

What can take sticker glue off laptop

Appropriate glue [ 13 Answers ]

I have been doing a craft project that I need to glue a coiled piece of 20 gauge wire to the handle of cutlery (stainless steel) I cannot seem to find a glue that will hold. Please advise.

View more questions Search