Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flord Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2012, 10:34 PM
    Marriage Dissolution/Divorce going into default
    In December 2011 my husband filed for divorce and it has taken until last week for pretrial. In Minnesota I should add. He didn't show and doesn't have a lawyer, even though he was the one who filed. In court for pretrial the judge stated that may have to go into default for court this coming Monday. On Monday there is a "motion to compell" not sure what this means but basically he hasn't answered amy questions my lawyer has asked so we could move forward. Trial date is set for August 24th and I'm wondering what yo expect if he doesn't show since he was the petitioner.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flord View Post
    ... On Monday there is a "motion to compell" not sure what this means but ... I'm wondering what yo expect if he doesn't show since he was the petitioner.
    If you don't understand the process, or want some guesses as to what might happen, why don't you ask your lawyer?

I would guess that the case could be dismissed. Or, if you now want the divorce, that could be granted on the terms your husband originally asked for.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 06:24 AM
    A Motion to Compel means that one of the parties must provide answers to questions and/or provide certain evidence. If your attorney has filed Interrogatories (questions) to your husband, the Motion to Compel would mean that he is being required to answer the Interrogatories, for example.

Now, if your husband doesn't show, the divorce would be dismissed since he was the one who filed. The only way it would go to default would be when the Defendant, or the one who didn't file, doesn't show up for court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2012, 06:41 AM
    As AK said, check with your attorney. It could be that your attorney filed a counter filing on your behalf. In that case a default judgment in your favor could be awarded.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As AK said, check with your attorney. It could be that your attorney filed a counter filing on your behalf. In that case a default judgment in your favor could be awarded.
    Yes, if there is a counter-suit for divorce a default will be awarded. But you really need to discuss this with your attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file for a dissolution of marriage if I am pregnant with another mans child [ 3 Answers ]

I have been separated with my husband for over a year and I am currently pregnant with another mans child can I get a dissolution of marriage in the state of Florida? What type of divorce do I need and what kind of paperwork?

What's the difference between Judgement dissolution status only & dissolution? CA [ 1 Answers ]

What's the difference between Judgement dissolution status only & dissolution? CA I am currently trying to refinance my mortgage to take my ex husband off the loan and the U/W from the bank came back to me saying that I am not leagally divorced. When we filed the Notice of Entry of Judgement we...

Boyfriend getting divorce, filed dissolution but ex wife might be pregnant. [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend is getting divorced, him and his ex have already filed the dissolution papers and paid the filing fee, but we think she's pregnant. And there is a good possibility thatit's his. What should he do?

Dissolution of military marriage [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is in the Navy in Okinawa, Japan. Prior to her being stationed there, she married a boy she met while in Basic Training in Great Lakes, Illinois. He had some health problems and was discharged from the Navy soon after the marriage took place. Try as she might, she was not allowed by the...

View more questions Search