Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevep828 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
    Dead bolt installation in a metal door specifics, Can it be done to all metal doors?
    Can all you install a deadbolt in all metal doors.
    Or are there some with foam core construction that you should not attempt installing a deadbolt.

If it is possible on a metal with foam core residential door (1987 construction)
    Do the screws that hold the deadbolt to the edge of the door just go into metal only?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2012, 06:56 PM
    Check the template for dead bolt u want to use. It will tell u how to install and give thickness of door it will fit.

The hardest part will be installing the striker plate if the jamb is metal also.

U will need special drill bits to drill metal door.

If buying a new door, get it with the dead bolt already drilled.

Chuck
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2012, 08:20 PM
    Most residential metal doors are clad over a wood inside. I just installed a new deadbolt in a metal door yesterday and the deadbolt side was wood. PIA to drill both holes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of deadbolt on a metal door [ 6 Answers ]

I have a metal building with a metal entrance door. It already has a door knob lock, however I would like to install a deadbolt. I know how to install a deadbolt on a wooden door, but never installed one on a metal door. The lock I purchased has the rectangle plate on the bolt so if you...

Am replacing metal roofing on bay windows Can shingles be placed over metal roof? [ 3 Answers ]

Metal is not copper. Also, does anyone know what the overhang should be (for shingles on bay window roof). Thanks

My Altima sounds like metal is scraping metal when I go in reverse and turn left. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 Nissan Altima GXE. I had some brake work and front wheel work done around Christmas time. The control leg, an axle, and some other small things were replaces, along with the entire brake system. However, when I turn left or go in reverse, I hear this shrill, metal on metal sound that...

How to hang doors when wall has metal studs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just bought a house with a partially finished basement. The interior walls are metal studs. I need to hang doors in a couple of these walls. I believe I need to frame out the opening with wood and hang the door using self-tapping screws (from some of the other questions I've seen answered...

Painting metal on shower doors [ 2 Answers ]

Updating an outdated bathroom. The shower doors have gold trim. Is there any way to paint the metal and not have the water damage it?

View more questions Search