Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    widowcar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Car driven without oil cap on
    My son forgot to put the oil cap on my 93 Toyota Celica, and I drove it to work and back (approx 20 miles) before it belched up all the oil. New oil put in, car is holding oil for past 2 days without being driven. Will it be okay to drive and check oil frequently?
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Mar 3, 2007, 03:04 PM
    No, you want to get a cap on it asap. Driving without a cap allows contaminates to enter
    Into the oil and also affects the air pressure of the pcv system. Caps are not that expensive at the auto parts store.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2007, 03:18 PM
    If I had a dime for every time I've seen this, I'd match Donald Trumps' wallet.
    Put a new cap on it, and go buy some engine cleaner. Made a mess, didn't it? Then drive it.
    Tell son to always cross your T's, and dot your I's before closing the hood.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2007, 06:21 PM
    That's right, it's OK to drive, but not the best for the engine. That's what Vandy-1 was saying. What happends is without the cap on, this disrups the crankcase ventilation system. A PCV valve on the valve cover controls that.
    Within the engine is pulses of air called blow-by. It's from the pistons moving. Add that to the hot oil and gasses are formed that are supposed to be recycled to the combustion chambers.
    Positive ventilation is what you had coming out the cap hole. Not good, but I've seen customers drive until their next oil change until the missing cap is discovered.

Is there anyone old enough out there to remember the old Ford Falcons as they sat there idling with steam coming out from the bottom? That's because they didn't have a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system.
    Best wishes.
    giantkiller28 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Buy oil cap for a few dollars and drive it. No nocking in engine,it's probably just fine.

Mar 5, 2007, 08:58 PM
    "widowcar disagrees: Not as dumb as I seem, I put the cap on, my questions was about residual to engine."

Lame of you to disagree when I gave you reasons to not drive without a cap
    For better help in the future clearly state what you want to know.
    FYI: People who answer questions here do it without compensation.

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428
    That's right, it's ok to drive, but not the best for the engine. That's what Vandy-1 was saying. What happends is without the cap on, this disrups the crankcase ventilation system. A PCV valve on the valve cover controls that.
    Within the engine is pulses of air called blow-by. It's from the pistons moving. Add that to the hot oil and gasses are formed that are supposed to be recycled to the combustion chambers.
    Positive ventilation is what you had coming out the cap hole. Not good, but I've seen customers drive untill their next oil change untill the missing cap is discovered.

Is there anyone old enough out there to remember the old Ford Falcons as they sat there idling with steam coming out from the bottom? That's because they didn't have a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system.
    Best wishes.
    Good insight Kitch 428 your knowledge is helpful to all who will listen !
    FalconMe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Good discussion... funny, I just changed the oil in my Toyota van and noticed the oil cap was not on... I found it wedged between two engine components. So I figure I forgot to put it back 6000 miles ago. I changed the oil and the van drive fine. And, I'm refurbishing a 1965 Ford Falcon! As Kitch428 mentioned, the oil cap on the Falcon is not a leak tight seal, so fumes spew out the top of the engine block. And indeed, the oil that comes out of the Falcon is filthy, yet the beast is practically bomb-proof.
    randytipe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 05:34 AM
    I forgot to put the oil cap on my dad;s 1993 dodge caravan v6 allwheel drive, after a refill of 10 w 30, and drove it for about 3 weeks? The hood release was broke so I didn't know until he fixed the hood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Burner still dripping.Oil Co. Tricks.fear for 3 dogs lives [ 8 Answers ]

That 1 you see as a response to my boiler question was to redirect my boiler question to heating and cooling. Please refer to boiler burner dripping below. Still need an answer as am not willing to have the tricky oil companies service my problem after causing it. They want to see more dollars...

Amp and cap need help! [ 2 Answers ]

So I have a 20 farad cap hooked up through a 4000 watt amp, which in turn is connected to a 12 inch audiobahn immortal sub. I have all of it connected, the problem is that sometimes the amp will be on, other times it won't. And the cap makes a whining sound that increases while the positive is...

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

Gas cap release [ 3 Answers ]

The gas cap release lever on my 2003 Honda Accord has stopped working. Periodically it will not release but does eventually release. This time it will not release and I am about out of gas! Does anyone know what is wrong or how to get the latch to release?

Want to write program to create computer driven car [ 4 Answers ]

How hard would it be to write a program that takes input from 4 wireless high-speed digital video cameras and use it to be able to drive a car? My idea is to write this program, put sensors on the manual controls, and use RC servos to control controls. Use the sensors slaved to another comuter in...

View more questions Search