Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dripdrop757 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 02:59 PM
    Failure-to-Yield Ticket
    I was recently in a car accident. I was approaching an intersection and I had a yield sign. There were two cars parked on the right side of the corner I was approaching. The car closest to the intersection was parked very close to the corner, blocking my view. I yielded from the point of the yield sign and continued straight because I didn't see anything coming left or right. However, by the time I accelerated, there was a car coming, approaching from my right. I was looking straight. My cousin, who was in the passenger seat, saw him first and screamed "Oh my God!" That's when I saw and it gets kind of blurry after that. Based on the damage to the car, I must've turned to the left a little, trying to avoid the impact, but to no avail evidently. So... after all of this, my question is: Should I fight the failure to yield ticket? I did yield, at the sign and closer to the corner. I blame the cars parked too close to the corner and the fast take off speed of the rental car I was driving. And, the guy that I hit, who I don't deny that I hit by the way, had just turned off the main street... Anyway, do I have a shot?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2012, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dripdrop757 View Post
    I was recently in a car accident. I was approaching an intersection and I had a yield sign. There were two cars parked on the right side of the corner I was approaching. The car closest to the intersection was parked very close to the corner, blocking my view. I yielded from the point of the yield sign and continued straight because I didn't see anything coming left or right. However, by the time I accelerated, there was a car coming, approaching from my right. I was looking straight. My cousin, who was in the passenger seat, saw him first and screamed "Oh my God!" That's when I saw and it gets kind of blurry after that. Based on the damage to the car, I must've turned to the left a little, trying to avoid the impact, but to no avail evidently. So...after all of this, my question is: Should I fight the failure to yield ticket? I did yield, at the sign and closer to the corner. I blame the cars parked too close to the corner and the fast take off speed of the rental car I was driving. And, the guy that I hit, who I don't deny that I hit by the way, had just turned off the main street...Anyway, do I have a shot?

I'm a liability investigator. I've NEVER heard "the fast take off speed of the rental car I was driving" as the excuse for an accident. Very imaginative.

Anyway, no, you were given a failure to yield ticket because you didn't yield sufficiently or appropriately. If you had there would not have been an accident.

You also are harming yourself with the "cousin saw it first" detail.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
    Sorry you did not yield, you may have yielded the best you could, but if you can not see, you slowly pull forward till you can.

It is still failure to yield, they way you described it.
    dripdrop757 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
    Thanks. I was just giving my honest perception of it all. She did see him first. I was looking straight as I was already in the middle of the intersection. Guess I could use a driving class... oh and the fast take off didn't help my chances of braking to prevent the impact...

So... do you know how I would go about taking a driving class that might prevent points on my license? I was out of state when the accident occurred, if that makes any difference.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Contact your insurer,they can give you lists of places for a driving course.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failure to Yield Ticket - What do you think? [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a City bus from 6pm to Midnight. I had just given an elderly man a ride home in my personal car because he missed his last bus transfer. After parking the bus in the garage after Midnight, I returned to the terminal to give him a ride home several miles out of my way. I know that the police...

Failure to yield ticket? [ 3 Answers ]

Yesterday I was issued a ticket for failure to yield, which resulted in an accident. I was pulling out my drive way on a cul de sac north/south street where the cul de sac is on south side. Our house is on the east side and hence I backing out to the east lane of the street and wanted to go north...

Failure to yield ticket [ 1 Answers ]

This past week our son was traveling in the left lane of traffic and going the speed limit when a sports car in front of him decided to slam on the brakes. Our son hit his brakes to avoid hitting the car. As he did, his car suddenly pulled hard to the left causing him to go into oncoming traffic...

Failure to yield ticket? [ 3 Answers ]

I had pulled left into a driveway to preform a turn about, I waited for the cars on my side to pass before pulling out of the driveway, and then I pulled out, then a female driver 20-years-of-age came around the bend as I was stopping to shift into drive and thought that I was going to hit her and...

Failure-to-yield ticket [ 3 Answers ]

I was turning left onto a busy street with lights. 2 lanes going north and south, 2 lanes going east and west. I was heading north, and turning to go west. Just as I pulled up to the light, it turned yellow. I quickly looked to see if I had time to make the light because I was slightly in the...

View more questions Search