Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    C27SK Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 09:24 AM
    How to fill W8- BEN form for contract job in US
    Hi,

I am an Indian staying in US with an L2 Visa from 19th March 2012 and will be in US for 5 more months. I received a contract job offer to work at home. The company has e-mailed me a W8-BEN form to fill up.

I went through IRS instructions and reached at possible answers for some questions as given below.

Permanent address: Indian address as shown in Passport?
    Mailing address: US address?
    SSN: I have an SSN, can fill in that

Section 9a:The beneficial owner is a resident of ( INDIA/ USA) with n the meaning of income tax treaty... which s the correct one ?INDIA or USA?

Section 11: should I tick this box?

Thanks for helping .
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 09:30 AM
    Use your INDIAN mailing address.

Yes, use your SSN.

INDIA tax treaty

Leave Section 11 box BLANK.

You need to complete Item 10 to specify that your contract income is NOT subject to U.S. income taxes.

Jul 13, 2012, 09:45 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
    Mailing address: I am located in US now. So why shouldn't I use the US mailing address ?
    Regarding 10 : How to fill that?
    Article?
    0% with holding?
    Specify the type of income: I will be receiving paycheck
    Reason: as a non-resident alien with L2-Visa I am exempt from taxation?

Thanks for helping
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 09:56 AM
    When you are going to be doing the contract work, you will be located IN India; hence, the Indian address.

Yes, 0% on withholding, but you do NOT want to be paid under a w-2, but rather a Form 1042 or 1042-S with ZERO withholding. If you are paid under a W-2, they will withholding FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes for which you have NO chance of ever qualifying for benefits, so that is essentially WASTED money. Better you be paid under Form 1099-MISC and then you file a Form 1040NR with Form 8833 claiming the tax-exempt status under the Tax Treaty.

Research the tax treaty and find the article for "dependent services" (if paid under W-2) or "independent services" (if paid under Form 1099) that specifies that income earned inside Indian borders are subject only to Indian income taxes.

Jul 13, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Hi,

I am not going to work from India. I will be doing "internet based work at home" during my stay at US.The company has ensured that there will be no tax deduction from the offered payment as shown in contract and asked me to fill W8-BEN form.

Please help me fill the" article" section and "specify the type of income" in section 10
    Thanks a lot for your consideration and help
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
    If you are working from home IN the United States under a W-2, then there is NO NEED for the Form W-8BEN, because, under a "L" visa, you will file as a resident alien.

You need to complete Form W-9 to tell your employer your SSN and where you are living, and that's all.

If the employer insists on the W-8BEN, complete it with your U.S. address and SSN, and leave the rest of the form BLANK.

Jul 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
    Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by C27SK View Post
    Thanks
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I fill out Answer-contract form PLD-C-010 in a civil case? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in California on Riverside County and I have to do a written response in a proper legal form. The form are the PLD-C-010 and this is the link to see the form in pdf format: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/pldc010.pdf My questions: 1) What name I have to write on the section...

How do I fill out Answer-contract form PLD-C-010 [ 6 Answers ]

I was sued by a finance company and I was trying to fillout a form to avoid lawyer's fee, but I have a hard time understanding the form . If any one knows the form can you walk me through please? The form is PDL-C-010.

W8- BEN form for contract job in US [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian staying in US with an L2 Visa from 19th March 2012 and will be in US for 5 more months. I received a contract job offer to work at home. The company has e-mailed me a W8-BEN form to fill up. I went through IRS instructions and reached at possible answers for some...

Contract job F1 Visa OPT . Do I need to fill schedule SE? [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with two questions . Firstly,I am a non-resident alien on F1- Visa and I worked as a contractor when I was on OPT . I received a 1099-Misc form. I have completed filling the schedule C-EZ form . Do I need to fill the schedule SE form since I was on OPT ? Secondly, I changed my job...

How do I fill out "Answer-Contract form? [ 3 Answers ]

I was sued by a credit card company and I was trying to fillout a form to avoid lawyer's fee, but I have a hard time understanding the form . If any one knows the form can you walk me through please? The form is PDL-010.

View more questions Search