Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HedlessChickn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2012, 09:05 PM
    Being sued while on disability
    Here goes...

I am being sued for $20K from a hospital. I just received the summons today (7/12) and the court date is set for (7/23) This seems like an awfully shot time for me to find an attorney to help me through this. At any rate, I have contacted one tonight and are waiting on a response from them before I do anything else.

I understand that SSDA cannot be touched, but the checking account the money goes to can be because of mixed funds. (My wife has her check from work deposited there.)

Would it be a good idea for me to get rid of my name on the account and start up a new one that only accepts the SSDI checks?

My debts are actually up closer to the $100K mark and I plan on filing for bankruptcy as the pittance I receive from SSDI is so small. Should I contact a bankruptcy lawyer or some other type of lawyer? I'm not exactly sure where to start.

One more thing, if I can't find a lawyer right away, what are the chances that I can file for an extension so that I can find counsel?

Also, any other advice is welcome.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 09:14 PM
    Your wife opens an account just in her name and puts her money there. If you just move yours, the old account still has your name on it.
    HedlessChickn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
    We found out from the bank that that is what is supposed to happen. We're working on dealing with that right now. I have found a bankruptcy lawyer that is willing to take my case, but in the meantime I have been sued for medical bills. I cannot afford to pay the lawyer until my next SSDI check. I was served last Thursday with a lawsuit, the court proceeding being on the 23rd of THIS MONTH. That's less than 2 weeks notice. What are the chances that the court will give me a continuance?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2012, 05:14 AM
    Hello Hed:

I don't know why you're so interested in defending a lawsuit that's going to be discharged in bankruptcy anyway... You're not going to save your credit rating.. In terms of changing accounts, they're only vulnerable AFTER you get a judgment against you. If you declare bankruptcy, they'll NEVER get a judgment... I'd concentrate on your bankruptcy...

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2012, 05:17 AM
    Agree, pull all the money out of the bank ( if there is any) but if you want, you show up, ask the judge for additional time.
    Jerry65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 08:06 PM
    Disability pay from Social Security or Veterans Administration CANNOT BE GARNISHED (except for past FEDERAL DEBTS ex.. : Student Loans, Back Federal Taxes, Federally back home and business loans and Military Credit Cards)

In my opinion you are wasting your time even dealing with that lawsuit. The Bankruptcy Court may even force you into a chapter 13 even though your income is from Social Security disability pay. The bankruptcy attorney will use a "MEANS TEST CALCULATOR" for this.

You may not be happy but you may even be judgement proof after all of your exemptions.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2012, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry65 View Post
    Disability pay from Social Security or Veterans Administration CANNOT BE GARNISHED (except for past FEDERAL DEBTS ex..: Student Loans, Back Federal Taxes, Federally back home and business loans and Military Credit Cards)

In my opinion you are wasting your time even dealing with that lawsuit. The Bankruptcy Court may even force you into a chapter 13 even though your income is from Social Security disability pay. The bankruptcy attorney will use a "MEANS TEST CALCULATOR" for this.

You may not be happy but you may even be judgement proof after all of your exemptions.

You are incorrect - it can also be garnished for child support and spousal support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being Sued: Can they garnish my SS and Disability? [ 14 Answers ]

I was in a car accident in October of 2010 and at that time nobody was hurt. Now I find out that they are trying to sue me. The only income I have is $36.00 in SSI and $660.00 in Social Security Disability. Can they take my monthly income if they win the case? Thank you for your help. Oh, I live...

I am being sued in small claims court in pa and on disability [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I just received a document from sheriffs office, I am being sued by a credit card co; I read other things here very helpful; however we have no free legal aid, this is rural Pa and so I do not know how to submit to small claims court I am on disablity, own no real estate and only get approx...

I'm On SSI disability And Being Sued By HSBC Credit Card Company [ 9 Answers ]

I'm hoping someone can help me on here since I feel like I'm at the end of my ropes. I'm a 53 year woman and I'm on SSI disability since the age of 18 for mental and physical disabilitiesI managed to get my credit cleared up last year and obtain a couple of credit cards one being a HSBC MasterCard....

View more questions Search