Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebeccaxxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 01:30 AM
    Can I use a medium brown permanent hair dye over adark brown permanent hair dye?
    Hi, I really need some advice about 3 weeks ago I dyed my hair dark brown permanent, my hair colour is naturally dark brown but now my hair is black and really making me look very hard and pale. Am I able to buy a permanent medium brown hair dye to lighten it up?

I have read your site and see that people use dandruff clarifying shampoo and hot oils... I will try this but really am thinking about re-dying it. Please help... also about 2 months ago I straightened my hair permanent so will putting another permanent dye really damage it.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 12, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Applying a medium brown permanent color will not lighten your hair. Dark hair contains a lot of red pigment in it, consequently, if you try to lighten your hair with a permanent color, it will result in a red/orange color. Each time you shampoo your hair, the artificial color will gradually fade. If you want to fade the color more quick, using Prell, clarifying shampoos or dandruff shampoos with very warm water will help accelerate the fading process.

If you can't wait for the color to fade and want to lighten your hair, please go to the salon. The hairstylist can use an ash base color with a higher strength volume developer to lighten it a few shades without the red/orange tones.
    melaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
    I dyed my hair about 6 months ago to a dark brown permanent color and I want to color my hair again now with a permanent color that's a little bit darker, will it ruin my hair if I put a permanent color over another permanent color?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Permanent hair dye mishap [ 2 Answers ]

I need some help. I am 35 years old, and I never dyed my hair until this past June. I just wanted to leave my hair its natural color but take away some of the gray. I had very little but felt a bit bothered by it. My stylist knew that I was very apprehensive about the process of dying my hair...

Can I dye my black hair brown? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been dying my hair black with permanent dye for about five years. The last time I dyed it was four months ago, and now I want to dye it dark brown. Can I just dye over it or do I have to get rid of the black first?

Getting red permanent hair dye out [ 1 Answers ]

I dyed my light brown to dark blonde hair red last night w/ 100% garnier hair color (permanent). I would really like to return to my natural shade before a reunion I have in three weeks. Will it wash out by then? Will washing with prell and dish soapwash it out just fade the color or will it wash...

Removing Brown Hair Dye [ 1 Answers ]

I have medium/light blonde hair naturally. In September I decided to semi-permanently dye my hair a medium brown color. I really liked it, so by mid October I opted to go permanent, just so that the color woudlnt fade. I like my hair being darker, but I would like to lighten it to something...

Semi-Permanent Hair Dye Removal [ 1 Answers ]

I dyed my hair with purple semi-permanent dye for Halloween and it has significantly faded, but has not completely gone away. I wouldn't mind this, except I have a small dilemma--my semi-formal dance is this next Saturday, and I don't want to be there with purple hair! How can I quickly remove this...

View more questions Search