Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ana2201 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
    Can I take my 3 month old pitbull puppy hiking in the snow??
    Hello,

I have a 3 month old pitbull mix, I don't know what the father is but my puppy looks exactly like a brindle pitbull (probably tail is a bit longer). I've had him in my apartment for over 2 weeks now, and he's the best dog ever, already learned to either go outside or to his box with newspaper go to pee and poop.
    I live in Santiago, Chile and it gets pretty chilly during winter. My dog sleeps inside with me and also wears a little fleece jacket, the minimum at night is usually about 40 F but sometimes less.
    I love hiking and going to the mountains but it gets super cold during the winter here, and am thinking on going this weekend to this place in the mountains where there really nice rustic hot springs, but it is a long walk in the snow and I have no problem in carrying my puppy, but am scared of it getting too cold. He would sleep with me in the tent with some blankets but I don't want him to get sick. If anybody has experience with puppies and hiking, would this be OK?? Where I am going is about 9,000 feet in altitude and the temperature outside can be about 16 F at night, again.. the dog would be sleeping with me inside the tent, but I would still like to know if this would be safe. I would be hanging out in the hot springs were it is warm but so far my dog has not shown much appreciation for the water.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Personally I would get a dog sitter but that's just me.

3 months is very young and it's not so much the cold as it is the exercise. While exercise is good for their health, it is important not to overdo it, especially in young dogs. Strenuous activity can do permanent damage to joints and bone growth.

The cold can easily be rectified with coats as you say, you can even look into getting boots for the dog. Some pet stores have them but they are available through many online retailers. They are just a protective boot that does up by velcro around the dogs wrist. Imagine having to walk bare-foot through the snow... There's only so much a dogs pads can naturally protect them from and being a young pups pads they haven't toughened up yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a seven week old blue pitbull puppy. What and How can I get her to gain weight [ 13 Answers ]

I have a seven week old blue pit blue puppy. It is a female puppy. She nibble off her food. She weight 7lb 5oz she is under weight. I want to know what can I give her to make her gain weight. You can see her ribs and that isn't the way I like to see her looking. I took her to the Veterinary and he...

4 month old pitbull [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to potty train my 4 month old pit bull. Although he has been doing really good. Just have one problem. When my husband or I come home from work, he gets really excited and goes potty. How can I stop him from doing this.

Pitbull puppy weight [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find a weight chart for a pitbull pup?

Underweigh pitbull puppy [ 8 Answers ]

I have just recently gotten a new puppy, she is about 10 weeks old, I feed her everday when I feed my other 2 pitbulls, they look fine, but she looks real skinny, I just found out that she is dumping her water over not long after it gets out there, I was wondering if her not getting enough water...

View more questions Search