Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    USMCwife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 11:28 PM
    Wife of Deployed Marine finds bank account empty
    I have found some information on my topic however my question comes with a twist. My account was emptied today by an attorney firm in AK. The judgement is against my husband and we had been making payments on the account until he went into boot camp about a year ago. He told me they were transferring the debt to a collection agency since he had informed them he would not be able to make payments for the 3 months of boot camp (may or may not be true). In any event the account was never transferred but payments were not resumed. My husband is in Iraq at the moment as suddenly we have zero funds. Is there an exemption since he is deployed and it is solely his debt prior to our marriage? Are these attachments one time deals or will any additional funds deposited into my account also be taken until the debt is satisfied? Also the account is based in CO and they only obtained this court order in AK. What are my options? Beyond that I can't appear in court in AK as we are stationed in CA. The base provides legal support but I'm completely stressed and would appreciate any help as they are hard to get in touch with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2007, 12:13 AM
    You need to get a lot of details, how much is the debt, how much was in the bank,

If there is more debt owed, any money put into that account will be taken as soon as it goes in,

So he needs to stop that direct deposit.

At least in years past, there was legal help for soldiers on base, I may recommend you start there ( if still available)
    Justicedog Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 03:46 PM
    I think you'll get the best assistance from the JAG (Judge Advocate General). There is an Act that protects service memebers, but I'm not sure what it's provisions are with regard to collection efforts.
    USMCwife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 03:53 PM
    So what I have found is that since he is a Marine, he is covered by the Servicemember Civil Relief Act and I can seek an injunction on this matter returning the funds and preventing further action until he is back in country. Thank you all for your help in this matter
    Justicedog Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Yeah!! I'm glad to hear that. Will the JAG help you with filing for the injunction?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Bank Account [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being audited by IRS. He needs to locate an old bank account that he had when married. Wife has moved out of state and he does not know how to locate her to find out name of bank in year2000. Is there a way to find out information maybe with your social security number.

Joint bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I will be moving to florida soon, I plan to open up a bank account. Question is, my father will be moving down also, but for the mean time i was wondering is there any way i can have a joined state-to-state back account with him, or is there some way i can put money in, and he can fully access the...

Bank account levy [ 13 Answers ]

3 days ago I found out that my bank account had been frozen. I contacted the bank and they said there was a levy on my account. I never received any kind of notice stating that this was going to happen. What steps can I take to correct this?

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Frozen bank account [ 1 Answers ]

A judgement has my bank account frozen. Apparently the credit card company sued me after I moved and sent notices to my old address for 4 years. The debt collectors/bottom feeders told me the credit card company sent me a settlement offer in October 2006 to my old address. I never received any...

View more questions Search