Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mvass Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Car accident on private property
    Hello. I was involved in a car accident. It was 9 PM, dark. I was backing of my driveway and hit a car that was parked on the street in my subdivision. The police came and determine that is my fault. The officer suggested that we can just exchange insurance information and there is no need of report, but the other party insisted for a court date.
    What should I do? I have never been in any traffic violation before and never had to deal with anything like that.
    Thank you in advance for your advise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 11:23 PM
    If the car was parked on the street and you hit the car parked on the street, it was not on private property, it would have been on the street,

The point of impact is where the accident happened, so unless the car was parked on your yard, it was on the street and is considered that by law. ( at least where I was a police officer)

Police officers are not forced to take a report or issue any tickets, and they can just do a report if they want.

So it appears they gave you a ticket, So you appear in court and either plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead guilty, you pay a fine and that is the end of it.

If you plead not guilty, you will have a hearing to prove it.

Mar 3, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Thank you for the fast response.
    A friend told me that since the car was parked in the subdivision, and the entire subdivision is someone's property, it is considered a private property. That is why I asked about it. The police officer said that is clear whose fault it is and suggested just dealing with the insurance companies, but the other person insisted of going to court. I just wander what her intentions are, because it seemed to me that is much simpler to just get the insurance companies deal with it. It would not make any difference for me whether we go to court or not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2007, 08:07 AM
    If it had been completely on private property, the officer could not have even issued a ticket, since except for a few violations, they can't write tickets on private property.

What happens, on a sub division is that the streets and water lines, and sewer lines become part of city right of way and the city takes them over, When the division is planned, the county and/or city have to approve all the plans before it is even divided, and that division includes roads, sewers and the such

Mar 3, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Thank you for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I rear ended someone on the expressway because the car ahead was in reverse [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a car accident on dec 31, driver in front of me stop right on the expressway, said that the driver in front of him was backing up. Which made him come to a quick stop, which made me have to come to a quick stop. So I slide into the driver in front of me. Police ask both of us were we okay...

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

Car Accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car wreck with a drunk driver going the wrong way down a highway. Luckily no one was hurt. My car was totaled in this wreck and I am not sure about how much I should get back. The insurance company said that they would pay me a book price on my car plus what ever was left to pay the...

Damage to city property due to car accident [ 1 Answers ]

In December of 2003, while driving, I got into a car accident. My back tires hit a patch of ice, and I swerved into the oncoming traffic, so I reacted quickly and wound up jumping a curb, sliding across a fence, and then the car stopped. The fence (chain link) had some minor damage, and my car was...

Car accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car accident about a week ago.. Both cars have been ridden off. The other car was speeding and spun my car about . I have been to hospital for spinal checks.. And have been having muscle spasming and panic attacks thinking I was going paralyzed when I felt tingling in my feet. I have...

View more questions Search