Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Draven Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2004, 07:53 PM
    Problem freezing at startup...
    Hey, I'll begin by saying that I don't know much about computers...

Anyway, my problem is that my computer, Window 2000, keeps freezing at startup. After the black screen that says "Press F8....", it goes onto a screen that has the Windows logo and the blue bar going across the bottom of the screen. The blue bar always freezes, and to get it to stop, I have to turn off the power to the computer. Any solutions to this problem?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2004, 06:17 AM
    Win2000
    Hi,
    Since you can't get into SafeMode, or anywhere else for that matter, you need to do a Win2000 Repair.

1) Make sure CD-Rom is first Boot Device in your Bios

2) Insert your Windows 2000 CD

3) Once this is done boot up using CD-Rom Drive. ( When "Hit any Key to Boot From CD-Rom" appears on screen, hit any key on keyboard to invoke CD-Rom boot)

Then, follow the instructions on the screen to Repair 2000.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Draven Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2004, 01:55 PM
    I think I should add a few details...

I could get into safe mode- I'd have to disconnect my computer from the power source and restart it again to get it to work. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the Win2000 installation or if it's the hardware. The problem started happening a while back and I've reformmated a couple times since, but it does not solve the problem.

Do I still complete the process as you instructed?
    Saker Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2005, 04:19 PM
    You can try that but if it's still doing it then it may well be Windows 2000 not liking some of your hardware. The only way to find out what if anything it is is to unplug all the external devices (except perhaps keyboard) and see if it boots. I've seen this problem before and it is often a USB device that windows disagrees with.
    Coli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2005, 08:01 PM
    Hello
    Sorry to bump an old post but I am having the same problem to a T. I've tried reformatting a ton of times, I CAN get to safe mode but I can't boot regularly. I also have nothing extra attached to the cpu.(just monitor,keyboard mouse). Yet it still hangs at the starting up screen with the Windows Logo. Anyoen found a solution to this?
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2005, 01:00 AM
    Coli, Did you try reformatting as well? If you did, then the only option left is to attempt to trouble shoot.

Turn off the computer, open it up and remove all PCI,ISA cards except for your video card. Then unplug all CD rom and extra hard drives from power and IDE/SATA cables. Turn on the computer and see if the problem clears up. If it does turn it off again and plug in only one thing (you can pick). Boot up again. Keep repeating and if you are lucky the problem will present itself or just mysteriously go away.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2005, 05:10 AM
    Win2000 freeze up
    Hi,
    This type of problem with Windows 2000 can take a long time troubleshooting.
    It can be anything from hardware driver files, to a bad connection in the computer.
    Your best bet is to take it to a computer sales/repair store near you, and let them check it out. You could save a lot of time.
    If you are not familiar with the "insides" of a computer, then opening the case of the computer could cause "static electricity" frying of parts.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2005, 07:54 AM
    Yeah if you try opening it yourself, one hand to the case and the other to work if you have no wrist strp teather.

Feb 28, 2005, 12:44 PM
    Coli,

If you have not reinstalled the OS like the other guy then I'd suspect a software problem. To troubleshoot this, Boot to safe mode, Click start, Run, Type MSCONFIG.

Go to 'Startup' tab and uncheck all the boxes or select disable all.

See if it boots. If it does, run MSconfig again and check a couple. Repeat. Once you narrow down which item is causing problems that remove the software from the system and reinstall it.

If the problem comes back after installing it again then run MSconfig again and uncheck all except that software. Then start following the procedure again but leave the offending software checked. This will find what software it conflicts with and you can reinstall that software too.

Opening the case is risky and if you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it. All this troubleshooting can take time but your time costs less than a repair shop. This stuff can take them a while too and by the time they are done, it could cost you more than the computer is worth. Also the first thing they are going to do is reinstall windows.

Later
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2005, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phr0ze
    Coli,

To troubleshoot this, Boot to safe mode, Click start, Run, Type MSCONFIG.
    No msconfig in Windows 2000. Just sayin'.

To overcome this in the past I have installed Spybot and set to Advanced Mode so I can use the System Startup feature.

Feb 28, 2005, 01:11 PM
    Sorry, its been a long time since I've been on win2k. You can copy the msconfig file from winxp system and use it. Or you can download HijackThis (a great utility anyway for removing spyware) Its completely free and will do the same thing. Hit scan and uncheck items from it. Be careful. I'd only uncheck items in the registry RUN or RUNONCE keys unless you know what you are doing.

Gl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Startup problem [ 5 Answers ]

XP home sometimes hangs or freezes on startup before reaching "the blue windows is loading screen "

Freezing problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with my dial up internet on another computer. Once I'm connected to the internet my computer will freeze after 15 seconds. I can't use the internet on it now because every single time it happens, any sugestions?

Freezing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My computer freezes when I am trying to watch Internet TV or stream video. Does anybody knows what is the problem? Tx

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

Problem with Ms office startup and others [ 1 Answers ]

I am running Windows98, I am having a problem,whenever I click any Ms office program like ms word,ms excel etc... the Warning stop sign message appears like this (x)This application must be installed to run. Please run Setup from From the location where you originally installed the...

View more questions Search