Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
    Mandate step parent visitation?
    Hello all - not quite sure how to word this, but is it possible to have a divorce decree that requires a step parent to maintain visitation with a child? Not talking about monetary support of any kind, just visitation... (state of Washington)
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aliseaodo View Post
    Hello all - not quite sure how to word this, but is it possible to have a divorce decree that requires a step parent to maintain visitation with a child? Not talking about monetary support of any kind, just visitation...(state of Washington)
    There are two scenarios in your case:
    1 You are the birth parent and you want the step-parent to continue his/her relationship with the child through court orders... that's meaningless!!

2 You are the step-parent and you want to continue your relationship with the child. Then the court is under obligation to look at the best interest of the child, previous relationship and the attitude of the birth parents.
    Movie Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
    Hmmm, I would be in scenario #1, that is unfortunate for my son. Thank you for your help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 07:44 PM
    There is no way to "force" or order them to visit, in some cases the step parent may get visitation rights ( although rare) but he can not be forced to visit
    Movie Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 08:16 PM
    I understand - I don't like it, but I get it. I am not divorced (yet?) my husband and I are separated, not sure how things are going to turn out, he has been the only father figure involved for the last 11 years. He has a pattern of severing ties when things get complicated, and I don't want that for my son. At this point I'm just gathering information - thanks again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
    Yes, I wish men could be made to be responsible and do the right things (moral thing) but sadly that is not the case, I am sorry he is not got what it takes to be a loving father ( step father)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Delaware step parent adoption and grandparent visitation? [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Delaware and my exhusband is deceased. My current husband is adopting my two children from my previous marriage. Does the step parent adoption terminate my ex inlaws grandparent rights?

Step parent addoption and grandparent visitation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I've been on here before and have crazy drama from the past. So I'll try to explain what is going on. In any case our court hearing is over. My ex did not get any more then every other weekend with my two older children I have with him. He was asking for 50/50 and can't stay in one...

Step parent visitation for my daughter? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to find out if my ex wife has to allow my current wife to see my daughter, my current wife and I have 2 children, and they miss their sister a lot. As it is right now, I am in iraq with the DoD and cannot find out anything. My ex wife holds my daughter from my family the entire...

View more questions Search