Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2012, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafica View Post
    Yes, I believe that may well be the problem. My neighbor on the first floor said that it has gotten increasingly louder, which is puzzling. Maybe there is something caught in the pipe. I would attempt to clear the pipes with a plunger, but I assume that would only help if the obstruction is not a long way from my sink drain. My understanding is that drain cleaners eat away the pipes. I'll plunge it and see what happens. Thanks for your help.
    Please keep me informed if you find anything. But I would use a snake in place of a plunger. Good luck, Tom
    Grafica Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Please keep me informed if you find anything. But I would use a snake in place of a plunger. Good luck, Tom
    I attached a picture of my snake. It's only about two feet long, and I wasn't able to insert it all the way. I wasn't surprised when nothing came out. I do believe there is an obstruction further down, though. A couple of months ago, the sink was draining slow, so I used the snake and pierced the P-trap, so I replaced just the P-trap. Should I get a different snake?
    Attached Images

blondie03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2012, 07:45 AM
    I have a constant drip drip in my wall outside washroom even when I don't use toilet, shower or sink in the washroom. It is constant 24 hours a day. I don't see any leakage on ceiling below.

Any idea what my problem could be?
    DawnDawn Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 07:19 AM
    I had that same problem and the repair man for the apartment I lived at came and investigated. He said it was condensation and not to worry. I believe him because when the weather got cooler I stopped hearing it. Hope that's all that's wrong with yours.
    seraphs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2013, 08:03 AM
    I had the same issues... the steady dripping that would start fast then slowly come to a stop. I talked to an old friend of mine who has been plumbing houses for over 30 years and he told me that the sounds that come from pipe expansion should not be random but consistent. The conduction of heat through a medium, such as pvc, moves at a fairly steady rate. So, it would make sense for the dripping sound to occur at a fairly uniform pace. He also told me to locate the area of the wall where the dripping sound seems to be coming from and apply direct pressure to the wall (lean your shoulder into it). If the dripping sound stops then it is most likely an issue of expanding and contracting pipes that are moving against their bracing.
    Compass123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2013, 10:10 AM
    Everyone, this eases my mind somewhat. The drip drip drip sound is coming from the ceiling, fairly uniform, i.e. every 30 seconds or so, longer intervals if I haven't used water in a long time. Started last weekend (seven days ago) after it got cold, fast. When it got warmer, fast, same sounds. No sign of water damage. Important distinction between what has been discussed: this is a townhouse, no one lives above, below me. Roof/attic is dry. Do you think it is pipe expansion (I think I have PVC pipes, second generation). Thanks.
    ina555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2013, 12:43 PM
    I have a problem that seems to fit in with all of yours. I live in a 2nd floor condo on Long Island, NY... nobody above me and back-to-back with another unit with the plumbing between us. When the cold water plumbing sits unused for 45 min to 1 hr, the first time I flush either of 2 toilets or turn on any cold water faucet, after a few seconds I hear a loud drip (tap) sound that starts fast, slows down and eventually stops. The sound does not continue after the running water stops. If I leave the water running, the tapping will end after about 20-30 sec and all I hear is running water. I won't hear the sound again until the cold water plumbing sits unused again. However, if it has only been around 1/2 hr, I might hear a slow 1/2 dozen drips. This just started around the beginning of the year. This does not happen with hot water. It's almost as if water is accumulating over time and gets forced out when the cold water is run. Help!
    bitsnpieces Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2013, 12:27 PM
    Tom's information makes sense but he continued to say this occurred when the hot water was used. The problem I'm having is with cold water. It only happens when I run water or flush the toilet upstairs. I haven't seen any water damage.. . Yet. But, if this is a leak inside, it's going to take time for the damage to appear. I know hot water makes pipes expand and contract but does it do the same when it's cold water running through the pipe? That's the question I'd really like answered. No more references to hot water because hot water isn't the problem. It's cold water.
    tuulamoore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2014, 09:23 AM
    Mine seems to be tapping noise and then sometimes a knocking sound. It happens even if no water is turned off or on. Sometimes late at night I hear it and it drives me nuts. Any suggestions as to if this is different or the same as described above?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2014, 11:39 AM
    Knocking, popping, creaking and crackling pipes are a common complaint, especially in colder weather. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair. When a draw is made on a hot water line the line expands against a pipe strap next to a stud and when you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dripping Noise from Ceiling [ 9 Answers ]

Dear experts: I am a new home owner and know almost nothing about the house. Hopefully you can help me out with this annoying sound. Recently I heard some dripping sound from the ceiling between ground and second floor. I never heard about the noise before until last week I raised the...

Knocking sound behind wall [ 3 Answers ]

I just had my master bathroom and main bathroom completely remodeled. This included all new plumbing from the cold and hot water source downstairs because we also had all the walls open. I now hear a periodic knocking sound when the toilet or main shower is running. Also when you should the water...

Wall remote for ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys. I see that you have a lot of experience. I looked through other posts and did not see the answer to this particular situation. Thanks so much for your help. Hampton bay fan came with wall remote but Fan is not operated from a wall switch. ...

Ticking sound in bathroom wall [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a ticking sound in my wall right around my stink pipe that only occurs when water is running out of the tub. It starts when the water is running and then continues for a few minutes after. I can't seem to see any water leak and the fact that it is just a steady tick... tick... tick leads...

Running water sound inside the wall [ 2 Answers ]

Water running sound inside the wall pipes going upstairs.

View more questions Search