Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dat5n Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
    DHS Suitability with Felony Theft Charge and Misdemeanor Conviction
    I was arrested 6 months ago for a first degree (felony) theft charge for abusing my companies benefits. About 2 months ago the case finally wrapped up and I agreed to a guilty plea and my charge was dropped to a misdemeanor. I was convicted for second degree (misdemeanor) theft and sentenced to 6 months of unsupervised probation and restitution. Restitution has been fully paid off and I have accepted a new job offer and started work already, however my offer is contingent on passing a DHS suitability clearance which has been in processing for the past month and a half. The current job only asked on the application if I have any felony convictions and of course I noted No.

My question(s) are: do I have any chance of obtaining a DHS Suitability? I have no prior convictions or arrests. Also, should I notify my employer of my misdemeanor conviction even though they have not requested that information? My thought is I can get paid for the work I am currently doing if they let me go and/or also why provide information they aren't requesting.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 12:13 PM
    You should get the clearance, the issue is felony convictions for DHS rules.

No if the application did not ask for misdemeanors you have no obligation to tell them.

Jul 11, 2012, 12:24 PM
    Just to clarify; Department of Homeland Security (DHS) only reviews felony convictions?

Jul 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
    Just to clarify; Department of Homeland Security (DHS) only reviews felony convictions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 years felony probation picked up new charge... misdemeanor [ 1 Answers ]

First time getting in trouble on on caught a misdemeanor weed under once what is going to happen to me

What is a lessor charge than a felony? A misdemeanor? [ 8 Answers ]

II there a lesser charge than felony? Is there a lesser charge than misdemeanor?

Is it possible to have an old class d felony charge reduced to a misdemeanor or [ 3 Answers ]

Expunged based on the fact that the dollar amount involved in the crime would now make it a misdemeanor?

I have a felony charge not a conviction. Can I get this off my record? [ 1 Answers ]

IN 1997 I was pulled over for speeding. The officer wanted to search my car and I didn't have a problem with that. While I was out side of my car the oficer was looking in my purse. Lord when h pulled out a pocket knife my late uncle had gave me I almost fainted. He told me that the blade was too...

I have a felony charge/conviction [ 4 Answers ]

How long does a felony conviction in the state of Pennsylvania stay on my record

View more questions Search