Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adesouza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Labour unions
    I am currently studying labour unions, and I need to know some advantages and disadvantages of unions in general
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 04:49 PM
    A very simple resource is your local AFL-CIO, if you have one.

One advantage of labor unions is that they allowed the workers to organize so that they would have better representation when it came to negotiations with the employers. From an employee's standpoint, the benefits of union representation include:

• better wages • protected rehire rights • better benefits • full or majority airfare to job site • notification of job openings • protection from unsafe or illegal working conditions
    • professional representation in labor or management disputes • protection from discrimination and arbitrary termination • camaraderie

A disadvantage to unions? When the union calls for a strike, the worker strikes. The worker does not cross the picket line, the worker honors the strike. This may mean going without wages until the strike is settled. Another disadvantage could be the union fees. But the benefits of belonging to the union would offset that. One more disadvantage may be the politics of the union. The worker may not agree with who the union backs as a candidate for public office, the worker may not back a policy. Just like any other job!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dielectric Unions - Necessary? [ 11 Answers ]

I have searched this site and others to find information on whether Dielectric Unions are really necessary when joining copper and galvanized pipes. The problem; I have found conflicting advice. In my own case I decided to use them after replacing galvanized for copper at the lav. But both leaked...

Trade Unions [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Have got to write an essay for general studies on trade unions, have found some information but not found much of it to be relivant or useful. The question is: Investigate the extent to which the Trade Union movement is an anachronism in modern Britain. Please help got to give in next...

Labour law in canada [ 1 Answers ]

I was an RN who worked full time for twenty years in ontario.I had to quit do to illness and went on disability.I see the laws now are for a disabled worker to be entitled to severance pay.I was wondering if I could go back and seek this now.Im not sue when it became law.I went of sick in 99 and...

Labour issues in France [ 4 Answers ]

I just recently heard about something that's been going on in France about labour. I hear that France changed the minimum age at which a worker can be fired with no reason (or something). This sounds pretty interesting. But I've been having some trouble finding specific info online. Can anyone...

View more questions Search