Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2012, 11:32 AM
    Incontinence help (before I lose my mind).
    Some of you may know my story... Separated from my fiancé of 7 years, had to move back in with my parents.

The dogs have settled in pretty well here now but the problem is they have to stay in my makeshift bedroom for a good portion of the day.

I let them out about 4-5 times during the day in the yard and I am with them from about 8pm until 8am. They spend about 8 hours alone in the bedroom during the day (broken up).

My "problem child" is Prada my mini poodle. She has urinary incontinence.

Back at my ex's house we simply shut the bedroom door. I don't have that option anymore and she is getting on the bed. It's currently 4:30am and I am waiting for my pillow and blanket to dry because she decided to sleep on them and 'leaked'.

I have no idea what to do. I simply have no way of keeping her off the bed. She pulls dog diapers off faster than I can put them on. I don't want to crate her for that long during the day as she sleeps in one at night.

I'm at a loss, I'm tired and I'm sick of my bedroom smelling like dog pee, it's starting to affect my health and I'm sure hers too.

Any ideas at all before I lose my mind completely?
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Would it be totally weird to put like a tarp or something over your bed, and then put a washable dog bed on it for her to sleep on? (maybe you could put like a painting drop cloth type thing on the floor too?)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
    I agree -- give her a special washable pad or bed to lie on, like a waterproof mattress pad kind-of-thing, with a plasticized bottom layer. Even use those throw-away blue pads on top that nursing homes use for incontinent residents when in their chairs and beds. Go to a pharmacy that has medical supplies and nose around (and ask one of the pharmacists).
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
    Not weird at all, I did think of a tarp but knowing her she would just pull it off the bed.
    At the moment whenever I go in the bedroom the blankets are always scrunched up where they have been "getting comfortable".

I plan on buying a vinyl couch in a few weeks time when I have bit more cash, but I know the bed will still be more tempting.
    I have thought about dividing the room in half with puppy pen panels but the issue is I don't have a spare $100 to buy them.

The "bedroom" is actually the laundry too (convenient with the amount of washing I do!)... Sounds strange but it is about 6mx6m so it's quite large, with lino flooring. It was in the process of having the washing stuff removed and turned into a bedroom just before I moved back in... It's just not quite there yet lol
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Your mom and dad have great danes, right? Why not use one of those kennels? To her, it wouldn't be a kennel but a safe spot for her to be in.

If you decide to go that route, get the outdoor furniture pads and place in the kennel, under the pads (because most outdoor furniture allows the water to run through it) put the absorbable potty pads under them.

With the doggie diapers, you could always put a cone on her. I know its not ideal, but neither is her peeing on your bed. They have the pet cones where its inflatable and is just a donut around her head.. they are designed for comfort for the pets that have to wear them for life.

I hope you figure something out. I know how frustrating it is to have an incontenant pet (my old lady is fecal incontenant).

Best of luck to you and the hounds.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2012, 08:31 PM
    I never thought of the donut cones before, thanks, I'll look into them a bit more.

Mum and dad lost their last Dane last year, after that the kennels were dismantled as they lost heart in the breed after not having one live past 11 years old.
    Plus, Prada is a serial barker, typical small breed she has one of those high pitch yippy barks too.

When I say problem child I mean problem child haha. She's my baby and I love her but geez she drives me up the wall sometimes.

I like the idea of the outdoor furniture too, funny thing after I posted this I went looking for dog beds. I found one called Slee-Pee Time, sounds interesting. It is a mesh bed with padded edges. A tray sits underneath to collect the pee that goes through the mesh.

There is also Vet Beds but the only decent ones I have found in Aus the postage actually costs more than the bedding! All it is is a plushie fabric with rubber backing... $20 postage PFFT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm going to lose my mind [ 21 Answers ]

Multiple threads merged Fair warning: Please stop creating new threads, please keep all questions regarding the same issue in the same thread Here's the story: Ive been dating this girl named monica. We broke up a few times in the beginning and then I had to move but we kept dating. So I'm in...

I'm going to lose my mind. [ 36 Answers ]

Zoe just turned a year old. We bought the largest cage we could find for her so as an adult she would be able to fit in it still. Well, she's getting too big for her cage now. She can stand up in it, but her head has to be down when she goes in and out. She can get turned around in it, but it takes...

Poodle incontinence [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old miniature poodle named Prada. She has always been incontinent since she was a puppy but it only happens in her sleep, and not every night. Her mother Shae who my mum owns has the same problem and after having many vet tests done there was no result and she simply grew out of...

View more questions Search