Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave5150 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Dec 26, 2004, 01:00 PM
    Jew/christian marriage
    I read somewhere that if a Jewish women marries a non-Jewish man, the children are considered Jewish. I was wondering if this is automatic or do the children get to choose for themselves when they are older.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 7, 2006, 02:39 AM
    Many will tag the children as being of the Jewish faith simply because the Mother is Jewish. Others will refrain since the father isn't Jewish.

I would assume that if the children are being taken to the synagogue on a regular basis they will be considered of the Jewish faith. If they are attending the services of both religions, then perhaps some would wait until they decide their preference.

BTW
    The children will choose for themselves when they are older whether the categorization is automatic.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2006, 03:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dave5150
    I read somewhere that if a Jewish women marries a non-Jewish man, the children are considered Jewish. I was wondering if this is automatic or do the children get to choose for themselves when they are older.
    Being Jewish is not just a religion, it's a heritage. Whether one practices the religious aspects of Judiasm or not does not change their heritage. Even if one converts from Judiasm as a religion it does not change that heritage. Jewish law specifies that children get that heritage from their mother. So if one has a jewish mother they are then jewish.

The children are free to practice whatever religion they want to, but that won't change the fact that they are jewish.

This article:
    Is being Jewish a race, nationality or religious identity?

Helps explain what being jewish is.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

May 7, 2006, 08:46 AM
    My brother's 1st wife was and is Jewish. She wasn't very religious (going to temple & such) My 1st husband & I attended their wedding. I know they were married by a Rabbi (b/c I remember the yamaka) However, I think I was too buzzwd to remember if there was a priest there(sort of a joke!)

Anyway, they had 2 girls. Neither one seemed to be one way or the other. They had the Irish last name, had the benefits of the mother &mother's parents, but tended to have Christian friends.

The older girl became a born-again Christian @ about 16. The younger, is more like the mother in general, but does date Christian fellas. I know that because when we went up there for the #1 daughter's wedding, the younger daughter & her beau gave us a ride.

Oh, the 1st married a Greek fella, so go figure if it matters.

So I have to say that the children seem to choose the best of both worlds. B/c in this particular "case", my brother was a very strong influence. Not religiously, but personality & lifestyle.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 7, 2006, 12:04 PM
    I agree that being Jewish is not a racial classification. Actually, it's difficult to imagine how anyone could even remotely come to that conclusion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Christian Record of Marriage [ 1 Answers ]

Found this on another site,I visit, wouldn't this be a better record of Marriage, over the so called Marriage License the state would like you to get. What is a license anyway. Link: http://www.suijuris.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=508&d=1132798112 Black Law Dictionary Seventh...

Need Help With Christian Song Name [ 1 Answers ]

I Know The Lyrics But Need To Know The Title And Who Sings It. Any info would be a great help. It is a woman who sings it. The Lyrics Are Jesus Loves Me This I Know For The Bible Tells Me So Little Ones To Him Below They Are Weak But He Is Strong Alleluia Allelu Alleluia Alleluia

STUCK? A christian marriage question... [ 1 Answers ]

Please delete message and thank you for all the kind words they are appreciated.

View more questions Search