Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joezeppe53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2004, 11:09 PM
    Carrier Furnace - Burners turn on and off
    On my Carrier furnace (model 58G5100-2) the igniter starts the pilot, and most times the pilot starts the burners after a minute or two and then the blower motor starts.

Other times, pilot lights the burners which burn for a minute or two, stop and then start again... and after a few minutes the blower motor starts and runs (the burners are on).

Then sometimes the burners shut down after a minute or two and start up again. This goes on and off... with no specific pattern, sometimes not happening at all.

I have tried replacing the "limit switch", but that did not correct the problem... any suggestions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2004, 06:53 AM
    I understand fairly well how furnaces operate, but do not have enough experience to know the details of yours from the model number. You have 3 controls that govern the gas burner, the thermostat, the limit switch, and a thermocouple or flame detector. There may be 2 limit switches, one to turn on the blower after the air in the furnace is warm, and another that shuts the gas off if the furnace over heats because the blower isn't running. The third control shuts off the gas if it isn't burning. It sounds like one of the last 2 controls is flaky, letting the gas continue to burn sometimes, and not other times. Thermocouples frequently are a problem, but cheap and easy to replace. They are a 1/8'' tubing going from a flare fitting to a 1/4'' X 2'' cylinder that sticks into the pilot flame. I think newer furnaces use a different control, but can't describe one. It will be right where the flame hits it. Before replacing anything, clean and tighten all the connections. Clean the outside of the thermocouple if it has carbon or other crud on it.

These intermittent things are a pain to trouble shoot. You may have to have a meter connected to the circuit when it fails to identify the bad component. The problem could also be on a control circuit board.
    miguel c Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2012, 07:43 PM
    Mr. Labman,

I was having the same problem and I clean the thermocouple and work just perfect thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier furnace blower motor won't turn off [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Carrier central air and furnace(furnace model 58GS050-3), it was built around November, 1985. It has carrier air conditioner indoor cooling coils box model 28AC030-911 laid on top of the furnace. Everything was working until one week ago. Now with the thermostat off and the fan set to...

Carrier furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Blower runs, furnace won't ignite. ( pilot light IS WORKING) 1. filter was cleaned 2. thermostat reprogrammed . Is there anything we can do beafore calling service?

Carrier heating/air furnace [ 1 Answers ]

We have a carrier gas furnace which is only about 5yrs old. The fan is not turning on the unit outside and it has begun making a loud noise but its working fine as far as heating the house. What could be the problem and would it cost a lot to fix. Thanks for any help.

Carrier split - heat burners cycle on and off [ 7 Answers ]

Carrier split unit in heat mode appears to basically operate OK. Once the pilot is lit and the burners come on, the pilot remains lit but the burners will intermittently cycle on and off. This appears to sometimes delay the blower from turning on. Once the blower turns on, it heats to the set temp...

Carrier Furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking at furnace for a friend. The furnace will come on with that small fan and the pilot will light. However, the burner will not catch. This unit has a igniter I suspect that the igniter is bad. Is there any way to test it?

View more questions Search