Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbart1015 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 11:18 AM
    February weather PA
    Have you ever walked outside and on a stormy day in February and have seen or heard snow, sleet, hail, rain, thunder, and lightning?? How can all of this occur in central PA during the month of February??
    SFNM2942 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 11:33 AM
    Having spent quite some time in central PA, all I can say is that when a low pressure system comes through, be prepared for anything. With the dynamics created by the Appalachians, temperatures can vary wildly, causing precipitation to going through multiple freeze-thaw cycles before it hits the ground--hence the snow, hail, sleet, rain phenomenon. It all depends on what temperature ranges the precipitation crossed through on its way to the ground. Where I live now, in Santa Fe, you can often see that it's snowing in the atmosphere but the snow never reaches the ground because it is melted and evaporated back into the air once it hits the warmer temperatures.
    Essentially, you're experiencing a cold weather thunder storm. Just wait until you have your first Nor'easter. Add some nasty layers of ice into the freeze-thaw and you've got broken limbs off trees, power lines down, and road conditions that dictate staying home, no matter what. Hence the reason most Pennsylvanians buy the fixin's for french toast (eggs, milk, bread) whenever the accuweather says snow. You never know how many days you might be stuck inside. This is the reason PA roads are so pocked with pot holes. Snow isn't so bad. It's the freeze-thaw that gets you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Been trying to conceive since February, need help. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been trying to conceive since February when I went off the pill. It took a few months for my cycle to get back to normal, but in mid-April I had my first 29 day cycle, and then in my second normal cycle I conceived. Unfortunately I miscarried July 6 at around 7 weeks. We wanted to...

How many days were in February 1916 [ 13 Answers ]

How many days were in February 1916 I can't get it

Bios weather home weather station parts [ 1 Answers ]

Looking to replace the wind turbine for my wireless weather station, as ours broke due to heavy snow. Where can I get a replacement? Please advise Thank You Audrey

View more questions Search