Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Being called "hon"
    I have a fb page, and I got on the subject of being called "hon" by total strangers. It irks the H.E.L.L out of me, I can NOT stand it, how do you guys feel after being called "hon" or "sweet heart" by a total stranger?

So I'm at a restaurant, the waitress is clearly younger than I, I ask for more napkins for my 4 year old and she replies with "sure thing hon". "That's it," I thought, "The last straw." I asked her if she calls everyon that, even the obviously senior citizens? She replied "yea hon, I do". I was shocked. If I ever called a teacher, parent, aunt or elder "hon" I'd have the poop smacked out of me. It's disrespectful and condescending, that's why. And patronizing. I was eating lunch with a girl friend of mine and the server kept calling us 'hon". I know my eyes would have gotten stuck in the back of my head, had that wives tale actually been true... I asked my friend, how does that make her feel? As one of the most educated people I know in our age bracket, she replied "It's so condescending, I HATE IT". Okay, so I'm not alone in thinking this. I thought maybe it's just insulting as a woman, went to my parents’ house, and asked my father (as a visible senior citizen) what he thought about being called ". Okay, so I'm not alone in thinking this. I thought maybe it's just insulting as a woman, went to my parents’ house, and asked my father (as a visible senior citizen) what he thought about being called "? I should note my father is also a veteran, and obviously retired military, an under water's weapons tech to be exact. He thinks it's ridiculous to be called "? I should note my father is also a veteran, and obviously retired military, an under water's weapons tech to be exact. He thinks it's ridiculous to be called " by a total stranger! I have heard the term used by nurses and other professional titles and while I am sure the user of the term means no disrespect, it comes across as patronizing for some. I would prefer to save the term of endearment for those close to me.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 12:21 PM
    I'm a veteran too, and a male and would rather be called "hon" than a lot of other things people might call me.
    It is such a big deal in Baltimore MD that they have a "Hon" contest every year, and all the ladies dress up with their hair in beehives etc.
    Not worth getting all that bent out of shape over, in my humble opinion.
    Whoops, I almost put a comma and a Hon at the end of the last sentence.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 04:41 PM
    I don't get all bent, it's just something that irks me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 04:50 PM
    My grandfather would say, "Call me anything you want. Just don't call me late for dinner."
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Hm, I guess it's just me who finds it patronizing and rude.
    wop48 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2012, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I have a fb page, and I got on the subject of being called "hon" by total strangers. It irks the H.E.L.L outta me, I can NOT stand it, how do you guys feel after being called "hon" or "sweet heart" by a total stranger?

So I'm at a restaurant, the waitress is clearly younger than I, I ask for more napkins for my 4 year old and she replies with "sure thing hon". "That's it," I thought, "The last straw." I asked her if she calls everyon that, even the obviously senior citizens? She replied "yea hon, I do". I was shocked. If I ever called a teacher, parent, aunt or elder "hon" I'd have the poop smacked outta me. It's disrespectful and condescending, that's why. And patronizing. I was eating lunch with a girl friend of mine and the server kept calling us 'hon". I know my eyes would have gotten stuck in the back of my head, had that wives tale actually been true... I asked my friend, how does that make her feel? As one of the most educated people I know in our age bracket, she replied "It's so condescending, I HATE IT". Okay, so I'm not alone in thinking this. I thought maybe it's just insulting as a woman, went to my parents’ house, and asked my father (as a visible senior citizen) what he thought about being called "hon"? I should note my father is also a veteran, and obviously retired military, an under water's weapons tech to be exact. He thinks it's ridiculous to be called "hon" by a total stranger! I have heard the term used by nurses and other professional titles and while I am sure the user of the term means no disrespect, it comes across as patronizing for some. I would prefer to save the term of endearment for those close to me.
    Stop using Facebook just making the rich richer
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:16 PM
    I hate being called "hon" too Bella. You're not alone.

I have used "sweetie" on this site before, but it's always when the poster is obviously a child, and I use it to soften what I'm about to say, which is usually something they're not going to want to hear.

But, do you know what I hate even more than being called "hon" by strangers?

stop using Facebook just making the rich richer
    People that post something that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. ;)
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:38 PM
    LOL Yup, was thinking the same thing.

Sweetie seems fitting when you use it to soften your blows, I have used it too. But "hon", just something about it makes me roll my eyes so hard it hurts!

I was told by a few people on that page that Baltimore people use the word hon a lot, never thought of it being a "cultural slang". One guy compared it to using the word "eh" for us Canadians, call me "eh" "hoser", tell me to "take off" ANYTHING but hon by a total stranger! :p
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:46 PM
    Completely agree, but I can see it being a cultural thing. Still, I find it annoying.

At my work there's a lady that comes in at least once a week. While she's at the register she calls me hon at least 20 times, and sweetie another 20 times. Pretty impressive seeing as she usually only has a few items and it doesn't take me long to ring her through. I smile, but inside I die a little more every time she delivers another hon or sweetie. She's also a bit off her rocker, so I guess I have to take that into consideration. :(

Drives me batty. I think that one day I'll just say "No problem you old battle axe". :)
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:57 PM
    Hahah! Can you tape this for me?
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Hahah! Can you tape this for me?
    LOL! I'll try, but it will have to wait until September. I have the summer off. I have to get my house cleaned up and ready. I have a very important visitor coming next month. :)
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 06:04 PM
    Yes you do, more then the Queen ;) <3
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 06:07 PM
    Yes you do, more then the Queen ;) <3
    If the Queen were coming I wouldn't be putting in this much effort. ;)

But yes, very important guests. We're giddy about it. Syd can't wait, she already has a list of things to do with Miss E. Your poor child won't have a moments peace. ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 06:10 PM
    The people guilty of this are usually service people -- the cashier at the convenience store, the lab tech taking your blood, the checkout clerk at the grocery store, the hospital nurse's aide bringing you a bedpan, the waitress at Denny's, and so on. It used to be regional, with US Southerners doing this, but now, because we are all so mobile, it's less of a regional endearment and can be found all over the US and beyond.

Since people don't know your real name, rather than use a more formal sir or ma'am, they use "hon" to give an air of friendliness and warmth--and maybe, in the end, show basic laziness toward customers who pass like ships in the night. So put your hand on that person's arm, smile, look directly into her eyes (yes, the perp is usually female), and tell her to please call you by your real name,"X" or "Mrs. Y" (or whatever). If you are offended by "hon," then it behooves you to be proactive. The same kind of thing happens at the doctor's office when older patients are called by their first name. I'll accept "hon" any day before I will accept that!
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 06:10 PM
    That's good, at least she will be out of my hair! Poor R has to babysit! Lol
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 06:20 PM
    That's good, at least she will be outta my hair!! Poor R has to babysit! lol
    R, J and S are on E sitting duties while you're here. :)

Can we turn those initials into a word? We only have one vowel! Um...

Jers, nope.
    Serj, maybe?
    Rejs, defnitiely not.

Maybe we should add our initials, B and A.

Jabers! We need another b.

Ya, I'm bored. :(
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 09:05 PM
    I don't mind it when I am called hon now and then. It actually beats being called a douche or worse... though I am used to it.
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 10:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I don't mind it when I am called hon now and then. It actually beats being called a douche or worse...though I am used to it.
    Who would call you a douche? I want names, addresses, numbers. ;)

You're a big ole softie!
    Dogs Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:06 AM
    Yes being called certainly is better than being called 'douche'... I don't want to come across grumpy or mean, it's just a pet peeve that probably will never go away. IDK, my friend can't stand it when people repetitively press the elevator button over and over again, she isn't going to go postal in her office, just an annoying quirk I guess. Every one's got them, I was just venting about mine :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:09 AM
    Your list will get longer as you age, Bella. My list doesn't fit on one 8x11.5 sheet of paper any longer. And it's in little print. Now I know why old people are often grumpy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Who sang song, possibly called "forever yours", in film "the perfect storm" [ 2 Answers ]

Who sang song, possibly called "forever yours", in film "the perfect storm" and can it be bought as a cd?

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

View more questions Search