Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:38 AM
    Hehe yea, I have noticed it increases with age! Oh dear at this point I may get my own show!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2012, 07:19 AM
    We were in a drug store one day and the guy in front of us had a dispute about how they were adding up his bill or something, and he was obviously right but he just said ok- do it your way-took his change and was in the process of leaving and I said-you were absolutely right, they did it wrong-talk to the manager.
    And he said -I know, but I don't let others get inside my head over minor issues.
    (correction-my wife says that what he actually said was: I don't let people rent space in my brain)
    I have come to realize that he might be right about that.
    I fight a lot of things on principle, and do a lot of legwork and send letters and file complaints and at least try to cause some of the world's jerks some hassle and trouble--but it is very rarely worth the work I put into it.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 02:16 PM
    If you have any problem with being addressed in some form of a pet name then DO NOT visit the southern states of the U.S. Down in that part of the country it's the norm to address people that way and some go to the limit with it.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Don't stress out about it hon. ;P
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    Don't stress out about it hon. ;P
    LOL! She's going to smack you! ;)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
    I can deal with "hon," sometimes, it really depends on who is using it. What I CAN'T stand is "shuga," southern slang for sugar. There is a nurse that I work with that calls everyone "shuga" with a deep strong southern drawl. I just want to smack her in the mouth every time she says it. Luckily she's moved to day shift so I don't have to hear it as often.
    Pets Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I can deal with "hon," sometimes, it really depends on who is using it. What I CAN'T stand is "shuga," southern slang for sugar. There is a nurse that I work with that calls everyone "shuga" with a deep strong southern drawl. I just wanna smack her in the mouth every time she says it. Luckily she's moved to day shift so I don't have to hear it as often.
    I can honestly say that I've never been called "shuga' or anything close to it. I've been called hon, sweetie, dear, love, and things I can't post here, but never shuga. :)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
    We were at a BBQ restaurant a few years ago. The waitress was trying to be hip and cool. She kept referring to us as "peeps" and my 10 year old daughter was "girlfriend"... Now, I could maybe... maybe understand it if she was 18 or so but she was older than me.

Turned out she was drunk on the job anyway so we didn't have to deal with her after that day.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I can honestly say that I've never been called "shuga' or anything close to it. I've been called hon, sweetie, dear, love, and things I can't post here, but never shuga. :)
    Then you haven't met Peggy! ;) The "shuga" thing with the strong southern drawl, that she doesn't have naturally, is so much more annoying than "hon" anytime.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 07:28 AM
    I used to like it when Cats called me "Shuga" or "sweets", and it really only depends on WHO'S calling me hon. I hate it when some snot nosed kid is calling me hon, or I over hear them calling an elderly person hon. Grates my cheddah I tell yah!

Enigma, you better run! You're getting a spanking!
    Pets Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I used to like it when Cats called me "Shuga" or "sweets", and it really only depends on WHO'S calling me hon. I hate it when some snot nosed kid is calling me hon, or I over hear them calling an elderly person hon. Grates my cheddah I tell yah!

Enigma, you better run! You're getting a spanking!
    We're spanking Enigma? I'm in! :)

Oops... WT?

But there is no right thread, so blah, I'm in! :)
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
    You guys promise? ;)
    Pets Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma1999 View Post
    You guys promise? ;)
    I've seen pictures of you, so you better believe that I promise.

Disclaimer "I'm not gay, or bi, but, it's Enigma! She's gorgeous, and sweet. I can learn to be into girls." :)
    Dogs Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 05:06 PM
    I don't care what you call it, I'm spankin her! Hahah
    Pets Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I don't care what ya call it, I'm spankin her! hahah
    Me too! Me too! I want a shot at this!

Just got a call asking for Andrew Ledgeman. Not even close! Try again! ;)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
    I find being called "hon" is not as annoying as the store clerks or waiters who call me by my first name after running my credit card, as in "Have a nice day Ed." (Ed is not my real name - just using it to illustrate the point). We've raised our kids to always address their elders as "Mr." or "Mrs" as a sign of respect - never by first name unless specifically requested to do so. To have some teenager address me that way is really annoying.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I find being called "hon" is not as annoying as the store clerks or waiters who call me by my first name after running my credit card, as in "Have a nice day Ed." (Ed is not my real name - just using it to illustrate the point). We've raised our kids to always address their elders as "Mr." or "Mrs" as a sign of respect - never by first name unless specifically requested to do so. To have some teenager address me that way is really annoying.
    Like I think I said earlier, seniors/old people being addressed by first name by medical personnel is also universal and horrendous. I say something every chance I get. In fact, NO patient should be addressed by first name if over the age of 18, until permission is given. We were very careful about this when I worked in Libraryland. Not sure it's the rule, but should be.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 09:30 AM
    I dislike being called 'hon' by anyone. Especially on here, especially on here I find it condescending.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
    I always thought that this was a southern US thing, I guess not.
    I don't mind it so much from people I know and have a connection with or even an elderly stranger, but I'll have to admit it does bug me a little when it is a total stranger my own age or younger.
    It happens a lot at work with our older clients, that's fine by me I take it as a sign of comfort and familiarity.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
    My story? Went to the printer with a letterhead, envelope, invoice, business card order. Picked out everything I wanted, the way I wanted it, checked the proofs - exactly what I had in mind.

And then the owner (not realizing it's MY business) said: "Hon, do you have authority to place this order?"

And told him I would go home and ask myself that question and marched out of there - "Hon"? "Authority?"

He lost a big order and what would have been repeat business.

Yesterday I took my car in to be inspected, wore a tank top, sandals, knee length shorts. I was going to a repair facility! Passed, no problem (should, it's new with few than 10,000 miles) and I asked the Nice Man Behind the Counter where to take the electronic key to get the battery changed because it's losing distance.

He said, "Go to any Chevy dealer. Wear that top and they'll replace it for free." Long silence. I said, "Okay" and left.

What goes through people's heads?

He also just lost any hope of ever seeing me and/or any vehicle I own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Who sang song, possibly called "forever yours", in film "the perfect storm" [ 2 Answers ]

Who sang song, possibly called "forever yours", in film "the perfect storm" and can it be bought as a cd?

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

View more questions Search