Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 9, 2012, 04:43 AM
    Frontline not working on my dog!
    I bought Frontline Top Spot (cheaper than the others) from Entirelypets.com and it didn't work AT ALL. I went to my local vet's store and bought Frontline Plus. I noticed that it took a whole 24 hours or so to kill the fleas, instead of immediately as they usually do. Then came back a week later! I have never had this happen before in all my years and dogs. What is going on? My poor little 14 pound JRT is getting sore spots and I don't want to chemical her to death either. I certainly am applying it correctly; I've been doing it for years, along the back of her neck against the skin. She's older of course (not sure of her age, maybe 11, lots of white around her brown face), but that shouldn't have anything to do with this. We moved to a more rural area, but she doesn't even like to spend a lot of time outdoors, and even if she did, Frontline should work.
    current pert

Jul 9, 2012, 04:50 AM
    Reading the Frontline website, the only clue I can see is 'when applied monthly.' Which I wasn't doing at all over the winter. I wonder if that's it; the chemical has to be fairly constantly in the dog's system over a long period? What can I do? It isn't recommended to apply before 30 days again, and I don't want to anyway.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:20 AM
    I've never been a fan of frontline. I really like Revolution, it's fairly cheap and works against fleas and worms. I also don't apply feal treatment over the winter, there's not really any point as long as you treat in spring and summer months. You should never double dose, I would suggest getting the Revolution and in the mean time a warm bath with Dawn sish soap and flea picking.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:34 AM
    I don't care for frontline or revolution. As Bella knows I have a fur baby with flea allergies... he will scratch himself bloody from fleas and none of those products work on him.

We worked with our vet and found that Comfortis works best for him. I have had him for 3 summers now, and this is the second summer that he has been on Comfortis. Not itching, scratching or biting himself bloody. No more cone of shame for this boy as long as he gets his Comfortis monthly.
    current pert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Thanks both of you, but do you know why Frontline would work for years on multiple pets and then stop?
    I keep thinking of watered down formula, someone cheating at the plant, distributors substituting fakes, who knows... you do hear such stories, not often, but...
    Dogs Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 09:00 AM
    I know the vets around here haven't been selling frontline for years because of it's ineffectiveness. We used to get free donations of Frontline at the SPCA and started using Frontline and Revolution in intervals (one month frontline, one month Revolution) We used to get A LOT of complaints with adopters calling about the cats having fleas when coming from the shelter. Are you using the right dosage for his weight? If you have a big infestation you should treat your home and yard as well. Planting lemon grass, citronella and having cedar chips are a great way to repel fleas. Also Avon's Skin So Soft works awesome at keeping fleas away.
    current pert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
    A pet store employee told me that Frontline has to be used for 3 months before you need effectiveness. Not mentioned anywhere on the website. I bought a shampoo for now. No more Frontline for me.
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:41 PM
    Comfortis starts working in less than 30 minutes.
    current pert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
    I'll check it out J_9.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
    I'll get all the details at work tomorrow but Frontline actually has offered up a guarantee to work program. I'll post the details for you after work tomorrow.
    Supposedly, if Frontline has been used properly for a certain time frame and you are still seeing fleas they will treat your property and reimburse or replace the product.
    I haven't heard anyone say that they have had to do this so I can't attest to what ACTUALLY happens but it might be worth contacting them and finding out.
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
    With Xander, we don't have to treat him at all until the fleas appear in the early summer.

Lady Sam, what do you know about Comfortis? I feel it's a much better product than Frontline or Revolution.
    Cats Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Personally I like Comfortis and we've had a lot of clients convert and love it.
    I use Frontline for the tick control (wooded area behind back yard) and Comfortis when needed.
    We have one dog with flea allergies that gets both during the warm months.
    The others do pretty well with the Frontline alone.
    Although I have seen firsthand accidental overdose with the Comfortis. One of my dogs dropped his and the other scooped it up giving him a double dose, he was very sluggish and nauseated for about 24 hours, so it is very important to dose it properly.
    I've not heard of any other serious side effects from a dog taking Comfortis, even after that scare I still use it, but am, oh so careful.
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 07:19 PM
    I forgot about the tick control. Xander is a rather large and furry Newfy, anything like Revolution or Frontline doesn't work well on him for either ticks or fleas.
    current pert

Jul 11, 2012, 12:30 AM
    I received a full refund including the vial I used from the store.
    I will have nothing to do with Frontline anymore because nowhere do I see any indication that the product must be used for 3 months prior to when fleas appear.
    In all my years I have always skipped a few winter months, and don't want to deal with a company that is so vague about the need for continuous use.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Another reason I like Revolution.. I checked about Comfortis, we don't seem to sell it around here.
    current pert

Jul 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
    Here's hoping the Adams flea bath worked. Used a big bin outdoors next to the hose because of the dire warnings about not getting on skin or clothes ('remove contaminated clothes.. ' then what? Burn them?) and got her all wet in the kitchen sink first. Since she's onlu 14 lbs, I used half a bottle. They don't cover the weight subject. Good grief. What is with the pet industry?
    Dogs Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 11:05 AM
    Hope it works for you Joy! A pain in derrière eh?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2012, 11:31 AM
    Boy oh boy.. all this flea and tick talk makes me very happy to live in the high plains desert! :)

In the past, on rescue dogs that came in with fleas, I used Zodiac flea and tick shampoos... maybe its not strong enough for major flea and tick control, but it worked great.

The clinic I work at sells frontline and have had no complaints.. once again, maybe its not good for heavy infestations.
    Cats Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Since you are done with Frontline and got your refund I will spare you the details of the guarantee.
    But my thought is this, if their were fleas in the environment even after treatment they will jump on the dog, the live fleas actually have to bite the dog to die.
    If there are flea eggs that fall off into the carpet or yard then hatch you have new fleas and Frontline Plus is designed to break the life cycle of the flea which can take a couple of weeks to 3 months.
    That being said I have used Comfortis and it works well, it might work for you and the price is pretty comparable to other flea preventions.
    Cats Expert

Jul 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I forgot about the tick control. Xander is a rather large and furry Newfy, anything like Revolution or Frontline doesn't work well on him for either ticks or fleas.
    Have you ever tried putting half between the shoulder blades and the other half on the rump, just a thought.
    That's how I apply it to our big guys, but the dog with flea allergy has pretty thick fur too, so now I am wondering part of the problem is me not being able to get it down to the skin like it should be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I treat my dog that has an allergic reaction to frontline [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old chihuahua that I applied frontline to and shortly after putting it on her I put her in her crate until I took care of my horses and other farm animals which takes a few hours then when I got back there was throw up all over inside her crate and she was frothing at the mouth...

Can any other product be used with Frontline if it doesn't seem to be working? [ 3 Answers ]

Can any other product be used with Frontline if it doesn't seem to be working?

A dog's reaction to Frontline [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old miniture dachshund who is having an allergic reaction to the Frontline flea control that we just used on him on Tuesday night. His skin is itchy, there are small hives on the back of his neck, he is just uncomfortable. We took him to the vet and they told us to give him 1/2 a...

Frontline and puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My female jack russel just had 7 puppies last night,can the frontline flea control that we treat her with harm the pupies in any way?

Frontline Plus flea killer [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone's pet had a reaction to Frontline Plus? Applied to my dog per the instructions 2 days ago and now a big patch of her hair has come off. Have an appt. w/my vet on tues. 11/16. Would appreciate input if you have used this and any reaction/symptoms your pet has had and what the remedy was.

View more questions Search