Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 12, 2012, 03:39 AM
    It's pretty clear to me now that Frontline wasn't working because I hadn't used it for the winter months on my aging little dog in my in-town place I lived before moving to a rural spot. I am angry at Frontline for being very vague about the requirement of consistent use.

The shampoo seems to have done it's job, hopefully until the 30 days of Frontline are up. I already over-medicated with the first attempt of Frontline Top Spot followed by Plus.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
    I must admit I was mistaken about something, I stated that the flea had to bite the dog to die.
    With Frontline Plus that is not necessary, the flea or tick must only come in contact with the hair coat for and extended period per their FAQ page.

Just wanted to admit my flub.

By the way Joy the Adams brands of shampoos and flea spray are good products, we used to carry the spray at work, I wish we still did.
    current pert

Jul 15, 2012, 02:16 PM
    Two Adams shampoos later (wasn't sure how much of the bottle to use on a little dog, so did two baths), fleas seem gone for now. I think I will try Comfortis when the 30 days of Frontline is up.
    BTW I was picking fleas for a few days, semi-easy out of her short white coat. I kept a white plastic bowl of water nearby to see if I actually grabbed one, and to drown them in. They don't drown. I've watched them wiggle for close to 10 minutes and almost escape. I even tried to drown one in peroxide - same deal. I think they grab onto minute bubbles.
    I have to send them down the drain.
    Cats Expert

Jul 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
    Rubbing alcohol will get them them.
    current pert

Jul 16, 2012, 06:10 AM
    Fleas are back, shampoos didn't last... sigh. I may jump the gun on chemicals, 21 days instead of 30..
    Cats Expert

Jul 16, 2012, 09:33 AM
    I'm headed back to work and will research the safety of giving the comfortis when Frontline has been used, with regard to how long in between and so on, I'll post what I find later.
    Might even run across some other interesting tidbits.
    Cats Expert

Jul 16, 2012, 04:32 PM
    I read the client insert for Comfortis when I got back to work, nothing is specifically stated about safety when using in conjunction with topical products. So I spoke with two of the vets there about your situation I hope I got your timeline right.
    In any event what they told me was this, because Comfortis and Frontline have different chemical make-ups that they do not interact with each other.
    There may be problems when stacking the same products with the same chemical make-up, makes sense to me.
    The Comfortis website basically states what is in the information that I have read.

Comfortis (spinosad) for Dogs — Frequently-Asked Questions — Comfortis.com

So the site should answer many more questions for you.
    Comfortis may take a couple of months to take care of an infestation of fleas in the environment as it works to break the life cycle of the flea. It kills the fleas before they can lay eggs, but only the fleas on the dog, fleas that have hatched into the environment will get on the dogs the killing cycle continues.
    As always it is best to get the opinion of your vet before giving any new medication and telling them what your dog is already taking or has taken.
    I did see that they recommend beginning treatment only 1 month before flea season begins.
    Hope some of this helps, and you can get your dog free of the little buggers.
    current pert

Jul 27, 2012, 06:06 AM
    After all this (and thanks everyone), I ordered Frontline Plus again and will apply it on August 1, 30 days after the last one. Comfortis requires an Rx. My vet's not cheap and I am not shelling out for a visit over flea products. I made a list of all of them with their chemical composition, and read a lot of customer reviews too.
    I'm still unhappy at Frontline for obfuscating.
    Meanwhile I pick about 4 fleas a day off her so am keeping them in check pretty well. I bathe her with only the tiniest amount of shampoo, a little more often than before because she is low on hair on her back and tail right now, and likes to roll in the yard.
    current pert

Aug 4, 2012, 04:30 AM
    Applied Frontline Plus on August 1 (2nd mo). Still find about 1 flea a day.
    Still very unhappy with Merial Limited of Duluth GA.
    All I can find is 'When used monthly,' Frontline kills this and that.
    One of these days I will write to them.
    There isn't even a contact link on their website, nor a discussion forum.
    current pert

Aug 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Still picking fleas on August 20.
    A wad of duct tape held by tweezers does a pretty good job on 1 flea at a time.
    rholden78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
    Fleas drown immediately in warm water and dawn dish soap... just want to throw that out there... I used advantage on my two cats, and my dogs are frontlined, but frontline is no longer working! My cats are pretty clean, but my poor dogs keep getting hit with them!
    current pert

Aug 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
    What is going on with Frontline? I thought it was because I stopped using it for the winter, 5 months.
    current pert

Sep 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
    Got my money back, used Advantix on 9/5, worked instantly, after 4 months of raw, chewed up flea bitten poor old doggie.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I treat my dog that has an allergic reaction to frontline [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old chihuahua that I applied frontline to and shortly after putting it on her I put her in her crate until I took care of my horses and other farm animals which takes a few hours then when I got back there was throw up all over inside her crate and she was frothing at the mouth...

Can any other product be used with Frontline if it doesn't seem to be working? [ 3 Answers ]

Can any other product be used with Frontline if it doesn't seem to be working?

A dog's reaction to Frontline [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old miniture dachshund who is having an allergic reaction to the Frontline flea control that we just used on him on Tuesday night. His skin is itchy, there are small hives on the back of his neck, he is just uncomfortable. We took him to the vet and they told us to give him 1/2 a...

Frontline and puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My female jack russel just had 7 puppies last night,can the frontline flea control that we treat her with harm the pupies in any way?

Frontline Plus flea killer [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone's pet had a reaction to Frontline Plus? Applied to my dog per the instructions 2 days ago and now a big patch of her hair has come off. Have an appt. w/my vet on tues. 11/16. Would appreciate input if you have used this and any reaction/symptoms your pet has had and what the remedy was.

View more questions Search