Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JNC2735 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 11:43 AM
    How do I install a hot and cold valve stem for a bathtub?
    I need to know if anyone can send me the steps for installing hot and cold valve stems for a bathtub and if you can send a diagram of a normal bathtub bathtub and what each part is so I can help my brother-in-law and sister get their bathtub fixed. Please respond as soon as you can. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 12:07 PM
    We will need more info. Are you replacing two existing stems that failed? Most modern "stems" are actually replaceable cartridges.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Actually most stems are easy to replace, and many times the seats must also be replaced. It is however important to know what brand of faucet it is because some require special tools and procedures.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 05:41 PM
    A couple of posts I made in another thread:

If it isn't too old and corroded, it is easy to pull the stem. Shut the water off, and for most 3 knob styles, pry the cap off, unscrew the screw, remove the knob, and unscrew the nut holding the insides. Inspect, clean, repair/replace. A good hardware will have cartridges to fit most brands and somebody to help you match the old one. I never go to Lowe's for stuff like that.

Some screws will not yield to a proper fitting, quality screwdriver. Heat works well on iron and steel. Even with them, I find hammering on things is often more quick. The trick is to hit stuff hard enough to distort it, but it still springs back without staying bent or breaking. When it moves, it breaks apart the rust, corrosion, lime, etc. holding it. A little spray lube helps too. I like silicone oil. I can use the same can to remove stuff and to lubricate things I don't want to gum up. It also doesn't swell rubber. The hammering opens up the joint long enough for the oil to wick in. You can put a good screwdriver with a tough plastic handle in the screw head and hammer on it. Often after a few minutes of that, the screw will back out. There are little hand impact tools that work great too. They take a bit or socket at one end and you hit the other end with a hammer. They twist when you hit them. Provides both the impact and the twist. If the head does strip or twist off without it coming loose, you can switch to a punch. Work at the edge pushing it in the way it unscrews. If the head twists off, you should be able to remove the knob. Then you can unscrew the assembly and carry it to your shop for further work if it is worth salvaging. A good hardware store is a better place for it. Match it to a new one. Note, hot and cold are not interchangeable. If the knob is worse for the wear or just old and shabby, theyhave new ones.

Doug is right about the seats. Cheap fixtures won't have replacable seats. If it didn't mean ripping up a wall, I would replace it with a single handle model.
    don darling Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 01:48 PM
    How do I install tub shower valve stems
    don darling Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
    How do I install hot and cold valve stems for tub and showers
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Actually most stems are easy to replace, and many times the seats must also be replaced. It is however important to know what brand of faucet it is because some require special tools and procedures.
    What brand of faucet do you have?
    Look here and find your handle http://www.kissler.com/catalog/Complete_Section_C.pdf
    juanathorpe2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 06:09 AM
    The diverter is old and the guy at the hardware store told me it needs a special tool
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 07:47 AM

Hi Juanthorpe2

You'll need to provide us with more info. On the issues here, OK?

How many handles associated with the valve? What exactly are you having trouble with... removing the handle, for example?

The more info. You can give us the better answer we can try to provide... ;)

If you go to the plumbing page and look at the upper left hand of the screen you should see a NEW THREAD or ask a question icon... click on it and start your own thread... that way you go to the top of the page and more people will see it, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installed new bathtub valve stems now "no cold water" [ 5 Answers ]

I have just replaced both hot and cold valve stems in bathtub. I did them exactly the same and now I can't get the cold water to come out. What can I try to do to fix this problem. Someone said I should have the valve open when installing? I am desperate and exhausted please help!! :(

Low water pressure in bathtub/shower hot or cold [ 7 Answers ]

My shower/bathtub has no water pressure. It does not matter if you turn the cold or the hot water on. The rest of the house is not having any problems with water pressure just this particular bathtub/shower. I tried removing the water spout to see if anything was stopping it up, but it won't...

Tub/shower valve stem [ 7 Answers ]

Hello,I will like to know can a tub valve stem get restricted with sediment and block Water flow till you get hardly nothing or just a stream?It has been leaking for Quite a while now and has gotten worser.I already have an existing sediment Build up from galvanized pipes.I been tapping the...

Stem problems in bathtub [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if a novice could get some advice. I have an old home and with it an old plumbing system. I have faucet knobs for my shower and 2 for my tub water. The hotwater knob for my Shower started to spray water from the stem. I took it apart and exposed the Cartridge and after that it...

View more questions Search