Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paramthegreat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Multiple State Tax filing
    Hi,

I work for on H1B visa for a software consulting firm that is based Texas. They run the payroll in Texas and withhold Federal Tax but no state tax.

I was contracted to work for a client that has offices in 2 states where I worked in the following order for year 2006:
    1. Worked in Louisiana for 3 months (March - May)- Drivers License from Texas, bank and correspondence address in Texas - all correspondence was sent to my wife's apartment in Texas
    2. Worked in Kentucky for 4 months (June - Sept)- Drivers License from Texas, bank and correspondence address in Kentucky.

Currently, I am residing in the State of New-Jersey (wife moved here) and I work remotely (from home) for the client's office in Kentucky. I moved to New Jersey in Oct 2006 and have acquired a driver's license there. I plan to be a resident in New Jersey longer than 1 year.

How do I go about filing state taxes:
    1. What states am I required to file taxes in?
    2. Can I get any adjustments?

Also I have been on H1B visa all year for 2006, I assume that makes me a resident alien. What form do I need to fill for federal tax? What are the deductions n that I can take to determine my taxable income. I have moved between 3 states and I have been reimbursed by my company for one of my moving expenses.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Louisiana and Kentucky probably think they have a claim on some of your pay, driver's license notwithstanding.

However, if you lived in a hotel or a month-to-month apartment, I could argue that you lived there temporarily. Any tax you would owe would be minimal, so file to stay legal.

You DEFINITELY have to file New Jersey as a part-year resident.

You ARE a resident alien. You MAY be able to claim the per diem deduction for your stay in Louisiana and Kentucky based on the temporary nature of the work there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Filing State Tax (NY or NJ) [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Sir, I have been consulting for the past 3 years and have worked in Michigan, NJ and NY. My company who sponsors my H-1 B visa is based in NJ and have been deducting NJ taxes from my paychecks. For the past 2 years (April 2005-Present),I have been living in NY state and have been working...

More details about filing state tax return for NJ resident working in NY [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for the answer from Delite. However, I am a little confused. Should I have to pay both NJ and NY taxes? Confusius

NY State tax filing living in NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I stayed in NJ for the whole of year 2005. I received income for December 2005 from Hawthorne, NY. It is below 7,500$. I have enclosed both nj and ny w2 for federal taxes and filed NJ state tax as well. Do I have to file for NY state taxes too? Thanks, Diwakar By the way, my w2...

CT state tax: filing status [ 9 Answers ]

I'm H1B visa holder together with my wife (H4, no income) since Feb 2005 in Connecticut. Under the residency rules of IRC 7701(b), we passed the substantial presence test in 2005 and therefore I am a resident aline for federal tax purpose, so does my wife. We file federal tax return joinly. When...

View more questions Search