Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CBlair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 02:32 PM
    What do I do if the wrong cause of death is on a death certificate?
    My father died recently after being in hospice for two weeks. He had many problems -- diabetes, renal failure, heart problems. Since my father was a veteran, we need the death certificate to help my mom apply for benefits. When the death certificate arrived, it listed "colon cancer" as the cause of death. My father never had any cancer, much less colon cancer. We called the doctor and he said he would take care of it. But I have no idea when we'll be receiving a corrected certificate. Does anyone know how long these corrections take? We called about two weeks ago and we still haven't heard anything. Is there a federal or state (Missouri) agency we can contact for help about this? Thanks.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 02:53 PM
    You would contact the state agency which issued the death certificate.

But what does it matter to you? Does the cause of death make any difference in applying for veteran's benefits?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death certificate is wrong [ 8 Answers ]

My mother, who never had a heart condition, and until then was physically healthy, was rushed to hospital with sepsis, (from a bladder infection not noticed by nursing home).. she had multiple organ failure by the time she got to hospital, from the sepsis) developed pneumonia in hospital ,and died...

What happens if cause of death is wrong on death certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband died of a rare condition which he was infected with whilst in hospital, this condition went undiagnosed,and the wrong information put on his death certificate. Can anything be done to change the information at all? Jessica

Wrong info on death certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My mother in law passed away last week... she was in the hospital awaiting a liver transplant. She began to vomit quite a bit so doctors found ulcers. They put her to sleep to "clamp" the ulcers but a few days later she vomitted again. They gave her a phenigran sp? To help with the nausea. She...

Death Certificate [ 15 Answers ]

Need some help here, My second cousin recently passed away but we were very close when I was young, took me fishing, football, did everything a father should for his son. I was asked to start to arrange everything for his funeral has his daughter is out of the country for the next few days and...

Death Certificate - Cause of Death Recorded Incorrectly [ 8 Answers ]

Is it common practice to write down on the death certificates the wrong reason for cause of death? And if so, why do doctors do that? This happen to my dad a few weeks ago and I'm just trying to understand. Thanks in advance, Scott

View more questions Search