Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Mar 2, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Animal abuse - why is it OK?
    Why is it OK for a person to beat, mutilate, mame, and kill on innocent animal? Why are there not stiffer punishments for those who do these things. It has been widely proven that those who abuse animals will eventually do it to humans. So why not slap a harsh punishment on them now instead of waiting for them to go on a killing spree, and then have some psychologist testify on the stand that there were early signs. I just don't understand how someone can do terrible things to an innocent pet. Is there any way to make a change? Really, what person is going to care about a $100 fine? That's a speeding ticket. Oh, and then there's the "you are unable to own a pet for 5 years" punishment. Good one! How do you plan on enforcing it?

My thoughts and questions stem from this disturbing story:

nbc4i.com - Search - Dogs Found Tortured, Killed At Ohio Shelter
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Shelley,

That is so vial and disgusting. I barely made it through the story. You are so right in the punishment is way to light. It should match the punishment if done to a human.

The absusers will get their punishement, that is my belief. A nice hot burning place!

I'm right with you on this Shelley!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Of course it's not OK to abuse animals... but it's not OK to drive drunk either... and there's way too many people out there with 2, 3 or more dui's and they still have a license... and somehow get out of getting the orange plate.

Yes, it's all very sad.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 09:31 AM
    NO one says it is okay to abuse animals. I agree that is justifiable concern for people who abuse animals - that they will progress to abusing people. But how do you go about assessing who is likely to abuse an animal?

Tougher fines, stiffer penalties address the immediate problem. How about mandatory psychological evaluation and treatment? As for the offender never being able to own a pet - what kind of registry would take care of that? There are give away pets in the newspapers every day. Unless you make it like the registered sex offenders - where when they are placed back in the community, the police put their picture and name in the newspaper, saying their address and risk of offending.

It is a horrible offense to abuse/neglect/mistreat any animal. No system is perfect, we have to keep working to make the existing laws work and to lobby for legislation that will truly address the issues.

Mar 2, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Good point Rick. Like the lady that ended up killing her own daughter on Riverside Dr. because she was drunk. Didn't she have like 10 Dui's and a suspended license? Then actually had the gull to try to fight the charges against her! I wanted to b#@&$ slap that woman so bad!

I think Ohio just has weak punishments all around. How can you murder someone and only get 10 years? I'm so glad that they threw the book at that lady in Cincy that killed her foster kid. This is another disturbing story. She ended up getting 54-life. YEAH!! She'll be out in 10 years, I'll beat the farm on it!
    nbc4i.com - Search - Foster Mother Found Guilty Of 3-Year-Old's Murder

Her husband ended up getting 16 years, which I don't think is nearly enough.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Shygrneyzs,

I LOVE your idea. Their names should be posted in the newspaper listing their offense. LOVE IT!!

Mar 2, 2007, 09:44 AM
    I second that, Awsome idea! I'd put it online. Easier to access and search names.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 09:47 AM
    With their pictures. I would say First offense. The brutalness of it all, merits it.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2007, 10:50 PM
    That story is disgusting. About a month ago there was the story of two a$$holes from Atlanta that took a 3 month old puppy and put him in the oven and cooked him alive. They had taped his mouth shut with duct tape in the ultimate act of these two cowards. They losers got caught when they actually showed it to children and threatened the kids if they said anything. They actually had a bunch of charges against them and one was a terrorism charge, so score one for George Bush there. Either way they got 10 years.

I was telling my friend that if that was my puppy or full grown dog I would seriously have probably killed them myself. I probably would have gotten more then 10 years but I'll admit I would never have been sorry about it. To me that's just as bad as murdering a person. In fact it's worse then murdering some people. I'll say it, you murder a drug dealer or rapist it's not a big loss to society. You murder a 3 month old defenseless puppy that's never done anything wrong other then depend on humans for food and shelter, while to me that puppy has more value then some dealer or other crimminal.

The thing is that from an early age your told that animals aren't as valuable as people. I think in some circumstances that's true. In other circumstances that doesn't mean anything. If in some weird bizzaro world you told me to pick the life of a dog over say the life of a rapist. The dog wins. It's not even a question. There is this sociatel belief that the worst human being is somehow more important then the best animal simply because he/she is human. I don't believe that for a second. Dogs depend on humans for survival. Humans don't depend on dogs, they depend on themselves. So if you can't cut it as a human I can't really hold the dog responsible for that.
    hammieslove Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2007, 08:42 PM
    I think we ahould start a petition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Abuse and suicide [ 16 Answers ]

I'm 18, I was sexually abused by my dad for a long time. It wasn't just my dad but his friends. My mum knew about this and did nothing and it is never spoke of. I can't bring myself to tell anyone about this! The feelings have got worse as I have just found out my dad has died, I lost contact...

Abuse [ 17 Answers ]

Hi I am 18 and I am being abused. It really hurts inside and out. To all men out there you need to know you are destroying a beautiful person, distorting her reflection, sufficating her joy for life and no matter what you think your wrong.

Abuse? [ 10 Answers ]

I don't know where to start... I am wondering when behavior becomes abusive. My husband and I have been together for 13 years and I don't know if I am in an abusive relationship. I'm not even sure I want to know. We met in highshcool and shortly after I became pregnant, 3 months to be...

Is this animal abuse? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a neighbor that don't feed his dog and don't give him water I always do it because I feel bad for the poor thing he is always crying from starvation and thirst he looks like the owner use him for fighting because he is all scared up and two days ago he was running loose on the street and I...

View more questions Search