Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chochocho Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2012, 09:39 AM
    Legal validity of contract signed between two parties in two countries over the net.
    Hi all,
    I'm currently working with an app developer partner in Russia, and I'm based in Georgia state, USA and we've both signed a profit sharing agreement for the app revenues whenever the app goes on sale at the app store.
    The contract we signed between us was transmitted to both parties here through email for our records, so I wonder if our agreement is valid under the Georgia state law.

Thanks and hope I can get some expert advice on this issue.

Ugo
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 10:04 AM
    Please don't ask the same question in two different threads, in two different forums.

Did both parties physically sign separate but identical copies of the contract? If so, the fact that copies were sent electronically doesn't matter; the contract is valid.

There is a uniform act on the subject of electronic signatures; and also a U.S. federal act, I believe, on the same subject. I believe there is also a treaty on the same subject, although I don't know if the state (as opposed to the country?) of Georgia has adopted the uniform act, or if Russia is a party to the treaty. It probably doesn't matter if the assumptions I made in the second paragraph of this post are correct.

Jul 6, 2012, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Please don't ask the same question in two different threads, in two different forums.

Did both parties physically sign separate but identical copies of the contract? If so, the fact that copies were sent electronically doesn't matter; the contract is valid.

There is a uniform act on the subject of electronic signatures; and also a U.S. federal act, I believe, on the same subject. I believe there is also a treaty on the same subject, although I don't know if the state (as opposed to the country?) of Georgia has adopted the uniform act, or if Russia is a party to the treaty. It probably doesn't matter if the assumptions I made in the second paragraph of this post are correct.

Hi Thanks for your reply. Actually, me and my partner signed same copies of the contract and emailed it to each other for our records, so I guess that will cover us.
    I'll also look more into the treaty to see if the state of Georgia recognizes it too.

Thanks much.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 01:35 PM
    Did both parties in Russia and in the US sign the same contract in proper places.

Also did the contract state under whose laws the contract was to be enforced.

And exactly how ( to ask a question) are you going to enforce the contract if they break it,
    If you win here, you would still have to file in their court to enforce it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 6, 2012, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chochocho View Post
    I'll also look more into the treaty to see if the state of Georgia recognizes it too. ...
    It isn't Georgia's choice to recognize or not recognize a treaty signed by the U.S. and ratified by the Senate. It would be the law of the land whether Georgia likes it or not. :)

Jul 7, 2012, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    It isn't Georgia's choice to recognize or not recognize a treaty signed by the U.S. and ratified by the Senate. It would be the law of the land whether Georgia likes it or not. :)
    Ok. So, I'll just presume that we're covered here under the law.

Jul 7, 2012, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Did both parties in Russia and in the US sign the same contract in proper places.

Also did the contract state under whose laws the contract was to be enforced.

And exactly how ( to ask a question) are you going to enforce the contract if they break it,
    if you win here, you would still have to file in their court to enforce it.
    Yes, the contract was signed in the proper places in the document.

Actually, the contract was drawn to be enforced by US Georgia state law, so in case of any dispute, I believe the Georgia state court will have the only and final jurisdiction to settle the dispute.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties? [ 6 Answers ]

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties?

Lease contract if not signed by both parties [ 5 Answers ]

I have a lease agreement and I am the owner. The renter signed the lease but not I. I have now put the house up for sale. Is the lease binding if I (owner) never signed the lease Thanks BB

Is your contract voided if your witness was not there when both parties signed [ 15 Answers ]

When you go to the notary do the witness need to be there in front of you when they sign Or can they get them to sign later.also if they were not there is the contract you did voided

Validity of quit claims signed during marriage in comm prop state [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is family or real estate law... during and 11 year marriage my husband and I started acquiring rental properties. He stated his job prevented him from owning any other business( partner in a big firm ) , so we set up an LLC with me as the sole partner, he signed a document...

View more questions Search