Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    selvi_Victoria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Is my son gifted
    My son has just turned 4year he is very rapid in learning I would list a few things that he does beyond his age he was able to to do 100piece puzzle on his own when he was 3years and nine months very confident using computers when 3year old. Now he can tell any number.Upto 1000, he has started to read.and the list goes on
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 07:40 PM
    Maybe, and if so,? Let him have his childhood, and as he starts school, then choices of private school ( can you afford it ?)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 07:44 PM
    I have a child like that. At that age he was doing similar things, at the age of 5 he was reading on a 7th grade reading level, but he evened out and is now a normal 10 year old boy equal to his peers.

Your child may or may not be gifted. I know we all wish are children are, but placing labels on children can be damaging to some children.

At this age, it's best to let your child just be a child.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 09:37 PM
    He may be. See how he does in Kindergarten. Most schools do not test children to determine if they are gifted until 3rd grade. If your child's teacher finds him very far ahead in all subject areas, she will find challenging activities to build his imagination and advance his knowledge. Let him enjoy school and pursue friendships rather than dwelling on being gifted.
    Sophie25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2012, 11:59 PM
    The teacher will notify you about his advancement and may be placed in the GT (gifted and talented) program at school. I know because my son is in that program :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    He may be. See how he does in Kindergarten. Most schools do not test children to determine if they are gifted until 3rd grade. If your child's teacher finds him very far ahead in all subject areas, she will find challenging activities to build his imagination and advance his knowledge. Let him enjoy school and pursue friendships rather than dwelling on being gifted.
    In my area the Brigance Test is given in kindergarten. How accurate is that so young?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    In my area the Brigance Test is given in kindergarten. How accurate is that so young?
    It is used for diagnosing developmental delays. It can be purchased by parents to administer on their own. Waste of money! If your child is experiencing delays or appears gifted, the teacher should begin a child study team to make sure their needs are being met. Anything that can be purchased by a parent, will have no weight with most school districts to determine any type of placement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my 4 year old son gifted? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi. I believe my son who's nearly four may be gifted. Since a very young age he has been ablt to do so many things. He can count endessly and count backwards. He can do a bit of addition, can spell quite a lot of words, his full name, and most of our family members names. He can read books and...

Is my son gifted? Please help [ 1 Answers ]

Good day mam... my son just turned 3 last Dec 15, 2010.. I often wonder if he is a gifted child =) here are his traits - first time he said "Daddy" was when he was still a 6 month old baby just lying in his bed. After 3 days she shouted very clearly "daddy" again.. - we are located in the...

Is my son gifted? [ 3 Answers ]

My son turned 5 in June. He starts kindergarten in the fall. My husband and I know he's fairly smart, but I'm starting to wonder if he's gifted/intelligent. I guess I can just list things about him, and maybe someone can help me. Is he just a little smart? Is he gifted? He can: Count to 200...

Where can I go to evaluate son if he is gifted? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2nd grader son he is 8 years old and he is attending to private school. My son always complaint that he gets bored in class and he finish his class work first than all the classmates. My son have 90 and 100 in all his exams. Also my son is very smart. When he have test he not even study...

Is my son gifted or not? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi can any one tell me if my 18month old son is girfted he sleeps inn a single bed doesn't like the cot we can understanted what he wants and he tell up what he what's he can tell us what a car a truck, motor bike and a plane are by the sound they make as they go pasted the house so is my son...

View more questions Search