Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CelticsFan16 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 01:33 PM
    Will I be able to attend a 4 year college?
    I'm Going into a Junior Year in High school and I just wanted to know if they accept both or not because I only took EC Classes in 9th and 10th Grade and is it possible to retake them or make them up to make them ACD. What if I get a good score in my SAT would the EC Classes still matter in 4 year college.. and I'm kind low in my grades in 9th and 10th, I had 9th Grade classes, English EC B+, Math EC B+.Science EC C+, History ACD C+, 10th grade classes , English EC C-, Math ACD B+, Science ACD C+, History ACD D+ and I still have two more years in high school do you think I still have time left to bring up my grades if I try really hard and I am an ESL Student in 9th and 10th, 11th grade all ACD, 12th Grade all ACD, Please Help I really want to know this Bad Please .I'm trying to go to UMASS BOSTON.. To be honest I don’t know what EC is but I know it is below Academic. Acd is Academics.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 01:40 PM
    First of all, your grades are not the only criterion that might get you accepted into a university. What else have you done? -- community service? Belong to clubs and organizations? Played sports? Plan to write a knock-'em-over essay for your application? Have a terrific score on your SAT/ACT? And are you able to do well at the admissions interview?
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 02:12 PM
    You'll be fine.

Because you're a Mass resident, priority is given to you over an out of state student.

I got into UMass Lowell and Drexel University with a 2.00 GPA, the bare minimum to even be considered by any accredited, four-year university. My high school transcript was littered with disciplinary actions, Ds and Fs. However, they accepted me because I got an 1150 on my SATs, which, they thought was high (it's not) and I had stellar recommendations from several teachers; the recommendations were huge.

I graduated from UMass Lowell with a 3.24.

My point: if you have a GPA higher than a 2.0, but your SATs are a bit lower, you're good to go.

Jul 5, 2012, 05:54 PM
    I don't really understand your explanation, I'm really asking for your help and I really don't know what your saying please explain in more details.

Jul 5, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    You'll be fine.

Because your a Mass resident, priority is given to you over an out of state student.

I got into UMass Lowell and Drexel University with a 2.00 GPA, the bare minimum to even be considered by any accredited, four-year university. My high school transcript was littered with disciplinary actions, Ds and Fs. However, they accepted me because I got an 1150 on my SATs, which, they thought was high (it's not) and I had stellar recommendations from several teachers; the recommendations were huge.

I graduated from UMass Lowell with a 3.24.

My point: if you have a GPA higher than a 2.0, but your SATs are a bit lower, you're good to go.
    Thank You Slapshot that really helps but in high school did you take all academics classes or honors or lower than academics class but I took EC Class but my guidance counsler says that if your taking EC Classes you hv to go to community college but I told I don't want to. Nice 3.24 GPA damn that nice I wish I could go to at least 3.0.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Slapshot says your grades don't matter that much because you live in Massachusetts. You will need good recommendations from former teachers and maybe a good SAT/ACT score.

He graduated from UMass with a 3.24, so he did better in college than in high school.

Jul 5, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Slapshot says your grades don't matter that much because you live in Massachusetts. You will need good recommendations from former teachers and maybe a good SAT/ACT score.

He graduated from UMass with a 3.24, so he did better in college than in high school.
    Ohhh my guidance counsler says that I need all academics classes which I didn't have in 9th or 10th grade but in 11th and I hv all ACD does matter which classes you take or course level.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2012, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticsFan16 View Post
    my guidance counsler says that if ur taking EC Classes u hv to go to community college but i told i dont want to.
    Don't listen to her. This is a good opportunity to be proactive. Call the UMass Boston admissions department and ask to set up an appointment to, they will listen to you. Do it in the summer time when the days are slow. I guarantee you will be so well received they will do what they can to make sure you're accepted.

Some more encouragement: My buddy, who was in SPED (what you know as EC) was told he wouldn't be able to get into any four-year school. He graduated with a degree in Computer Science from UMass Lowell.

Heads up: Massachusetts has a program in which community college graduates (an Associate's degree) with at least 3.0 GPA can continue on to a state university to earn a Bachelor's with 1/3 of tuition reduced. The catch is tuition for all Massachusetts state schools is $700, and "operating costs" are $5,000. So you save yourself $233. It's a scam, don't bother doing it. Spend all four years on four-year campus and live there if you can, you will be so glad you did.

Jul 6, 2012, 10:25 AM
    Don't listen to her. This is a good opportunity to be proactive. Call the UMass Boston admissions department and ask to set up an appointment to, they will listen to you. Do it in the summer time when the days are slow. I guarantee you will be so well received they will do what they can to make sure you're accepted.

Some more encouragement: My buddy, who was in SPED (what you know as EC) was told he wouldn't be able to get into any four-year school. He graduated with a degree in Computer Science from UMass Lowell.

Heads up: Massachusetts has a program in which community college graduates (an Associate's degree) with at least 3.0 GPA can continue on to a state university to earn a Bachelor's with 1/3 of tuition reduced. The catch is tuition for all Massachusetts state schools is $700, and "operating costs" are $5,000. So you save yourself $233. It's a scam, don't bother doing it. Spend all four years on four-year campus and live there if you can, you will be so glad you did.
    Thanks That really helps a lot I mean it really does it makes me so happy now Thanks you again.. when I was going into my junior year I was thinking about taking those EC Classes again and make them up to ACD but I don't know if I should do that and any suggestion about that and I also took Math and Science as EC but I brought them up to Acd in sophomore year. But only English that stayed completely EC but I'm glad I'm have a ACD English in my junior year any suggestion or help me out with this one or situatuion. Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:45 AM
    ...any suggestion or help me out with this one or situatuion. Thanks
    I already told you, call the UMass Boston Admissions office and ask them.

Jul 9, 2012, 07:10 PM
    I already told you, call the UMass Boston Admissions office and ask them.
    Do You Know their # somehow I can't find it..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 07:13 PM
    Do You Know thier # somehow i can't find it..
    You're joking, right? You didn't Google for this information?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you attend college with a fellony that occurred when you were a minor? [ 5 Answers ]

Is it possible to get into a four year university if you were charger with rape? I was falsely accused but I am 17 and she is 16.

How can a felon attend college? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps to take to insure your felon's further education

Can I move out of Illinois to attend college in Arizona with my kids? [ 6 Answers ]

I bought an inexpensive house in Illinois two years ago with my husband (who has spent a lot of time and effort fixing it and still a ways to go there), using my mother's estate money entirely. We thus moved here from WA state. Our children are 7 and almost six and quite autistic. We are...

Transferring probation to attend college [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being released from the Clark County Detention Center in Nevada next Monday, the 5th of May. Before he was taken into custody, but while he was out on bail, he attended a semester of college at North Dakota State University in Fargo, ND, and wants to go back to finish school. If...

View more questions Search