Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tbaby24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2012, 12:01 AM
    Second-hand smoke from crack cocaine:negative/positve when sent to a lab
    I spent the night with a guy that was supposed to be my friend on Saturday night... I fell asleep before midnight, and when I woke up that next morning about 8 am, he was smoking crack... I freaked out because I get drug tested every week, and have four months clean... he said he waited until I fell asleep, so he was smoking in the same room I was sleeping in... on Tuesday morning at 11am, I took a 10 panel urine drug test... on the cocaine section the line came up very faint so they sent it out to a lab... will the lab test come back positive even though I did not use?
    Ryantheatheist Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Jul 5, 2012, 07:26 AM
    It may well do if it came up faint on the urine test, since I work I can tell you that they are much more thorough. Anyway, since you seem to have passed the test a few times before, your work shall know that you are not a regular user, so I would just be honest in advance and say that it may show up as passive, then explain as you have here. I am sure they will understand. Or say you were at a party and others were smoking but you didn't realise for a while since you were drunk.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbaby24 View Post
    I spent the night with a guy that was supposed to be my friend on saturday night.....i fell asleep befor midnight, and when i woke up that next morning about 8 am, he was smoking crack....i freaked out bc i get drug tested every week, and have four months clean.....he said he waited until i fell asleep, so he was smoking in the same room i was sleeping in.....on tuesday morning at 11am, i took a 10 panel urine drug test...on the cocaine section the line came up very faint so they sent it out to a lab.....will the lab test come back positive even though i did not use?
    Very unlikely that the sample will confirm positive. The test you were administered, visually interpreted immunoassay, is erratic known for false positives, and designed to be used by the untrained. It would have been much simpler just to wait 15 minutes and re-test given the circumstances.

Cocaine is a very volatile substance in relation to drug tests but given the circumstances you describe even if you were contaminated you should be under cutoff. So the confirmation should clear.
    jonah12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 5, 2012, 06:29 PM
    It's not going to show as anything, you're fine. DO NOT tell them the above and expect them to be understanding.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2012, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonah12 View Post
    ...... DO NOT tell them the above and expect them to be understanding.
    Amen!
    Tbaby24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 08:02 PM
    Hi Dr.Bill,I read your response, and I'm still paranoid because they didn't get the results yet... they send the tests to the toxicology lab?. ive been asking a lot of people... I can go to jail for this because I doubt there going to believe me... do you happen to know the cutoff level?
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2012, 08:32 PM
    Cutoff level for cocaine is 300 ng/ml. However, all immunoassays have an allowable variance of +/- 25% therefore the actual range of detection could be from 225-375. Confirmation test should be at same cutoff.

Cutoff and detection times

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What effects will you have on secondhand smoke crack cocaine/marijuana (51)? [ 9 Answers ]

I been exposed to crack cocaine my whole life? My mother is the one who does it. When I inhale it, I immediately get headaches or stomach aches.I did a little research but would love to hear from others. Someone please tell me the effects of this second-hand smoke? Thank You.

Second hand exposure to Crack cocaine [ 8 Answers ]

Someone smoked crack upstairs in my house before I came home. When I woke up this morning my throat feels like I constantly have to cough. I have 2 children should they be in the house? How long does the second hand smoke stay around?

Effects of second hand exposure to crack cocaine [ 4 Answers ]

I was smoking crack cocaine and methamphetamines in my room while my sister was in the adjacent room over a period of 4 days. She was diagnosed with leukimia at the age of three, went into remission at the age of five, and was diagnosed with a brain tumor at age ten. The doctors said it was a low...

View more questions Search